LegacyGT.com

Koni Shock question

Pete1122

Well, I don't know, maybe I should have gone with Cobb springs cuz I've been rolling around on my konis/Epics for several days now and I'm just not seeing hardly any drop relative to when it was stock. I don't know what's going on there. The drop looks nice in all the pics I've seen so now I keep thinking I did something wrong. Should I give it a few more days and see if they "settle" a bit more? Or maybe it's time to start looking everything over again to see if I got it all tightened down correctly? Another thing is that the rear springs are creaking pretty bad. Reading some other posts it seems I'm not the only one to experience that with the Epics, but I'm hyper-sensitive to all noises, rattles, creaks, etc. from my car so I don't think I can deal with it if they don't quiet down. I don't mean to hijack this thread with my issues, but I'm still sort of still staying with the Konis theme :icon_bigg so any thoughts or insight from you guys would be appreciated.

It will sink. It depends on your roads and how hard you drive. I have about 3 finger gap in rear and 2-2.5 in front

Also, the rear springs do not creak; it is the rubber top hats. How many miles are on your car? The rear top hats can be ordered from tirerack.com for ~$23 each.

My springs took a few weeks to really settle in, at first it was hard to notice the drop but inside the car you can really tell it sits lower. Did you happen to install any spring dampeners/silencers when you had your springs installed? I had a set of Tein Spring silencers installed on my front and rears and they are super quiet.

Here's a shot of my before and after with the Cobb Springs on stock struts.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zsJpgQgxZd4/T8WywVn8kKI/AAAAAAAAAEQ/3PqKjQwdDb0/s1600/side4.jpg

Top hats making all that noise? Interesting...they were perfectly quiet with the stock springs but yeah I'm at almost 80,000 miles and they did appear a bit worn so I don't doubt that after disassembling and reassembling they may not go back to the "groove" they were in before. Thanks for the info. A pretty cheap fix if it doesn't go away soon on its own (which I'm quickly losing hope of). Not that I want to break those things down again!! But if that's what it takes, I will certainly give it a go.

Pete- thanks....wow, your GT looks beautiful with the Cobbs and those wheels. I thought about the Cobbs originally but was a bit concerned about them dropping me a bit too low. Well I will admit I hadn't heard of spring silencers but I'll be googling that right away! And I'll try to be patient to see if it will drop some more over time. It seems there's still hope for me to get the look (and sound...or lack thereof) that I'm looking for

I can never keep track of who makes what under what name but I thought Eibach made the Epic springs...anyway, thanks Chad, I'll give 'em a few more days. I usually take extreme measures to avoid bumps and rough patches of road but I now find myself out there looking for them to see if it will help things settle faster. Maybe that's not so smart but I'm still not driving in to giant potholes or anyting. :) I'm always second guessing myself, but if I would have known it was possible to get a good set of used coilovers for the price you recently picked some up for, I think I would have gone that route. Oh well, live and learn. I should be happy with the Konis/Epics if I get these issues resolved.

Very cool...great idea to document your journey in blog form. Thanks for sharing. Kind of a car diary, but a lot cooler. Now I wish I would have had the foresight to do something like this. I guess it doesn't mean I can't start now since I still have a lot of work to do yet.

Archived