LegacyGT.com

96 Legacy 2.2 COOKED! 2.2 engine needed in MN near TC.

Some of you may remember my thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/96-legacy-timing-belt-broke-driving-speed-189474.html .

Well, I've learned more about the car. The engine got so hot that the timing cover melted and wouldn't restart! (I wasn't there.)

I'll be needing a replacement 2.2 engine that will fit a 1996 Legacy with an automatic transmission. It also would be nice if this engine was in MN near the Twin Cities.

What years will fit into a 96? Will an engine from a manual trannie fit?

Please keep in mind I'm doing this work as for no profit. (Just trying to help out a family in need.)

You guys have been very helpful in my first thread!

What should be freshened up before the replacement engine is put in? Seals? Valve cover gaskets? Rear seal? Water pump/timing belt?

Regards,

Dan_

I have a 99 legacy with a block from a 87 legacy heads from a 92 Wrx and a transmission from a 05 Wrx and my stock intake from the 99 legacy with stock alternator and ac compressor and a 05 Sti power steering pump and oh the block was sohc and the heads are dohc and the block is a 2.2 and the heads are 2.0 and my timing covers are the ones off the stock 2.5 engine..... What I'm getting at is most any Subaru engine will bolt in and yes it will fit either manual or automatic just swap the flywheel/flexdisc and only thing you gotta worry about really is the ecu running the engine but as long as it's the same size engine you can always swap sensors and it will work I originally had a 2.0 dohc jdm engine running off my stock 2.5 legacy ecu and it ran fine till I went standalone...

Goodluck with it and that's awesome your trying to help someone out any questions feel free to ask.

• I Donated

Another thing to keep in mind is that the engines between automatic vs manual transmission cars differ a little bit.

Automatic transmission = EGR valve

Manual transmission = no EGR valve

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Another thing to keep in mind is that the engines between automatic vs manual transmission cars differ a little bit.

Automatic transmission = EGR valve

Manual transmission = no EGR valve

Really?^^^ I had no idea guess I was so used to deleting anything emisssions related I never noticed that good call tho thanks :-)

ej22s that will work, in preferred order:

95 ej22 w/ egr (auto trans car)

96 ej22 w/ egr (auto trans car usually) need the y-pipe

97 - 98 ej22 w/ egr (auto trans car usually) need the y-pipe

any ej22 90 - 98 will bolt in and run just fine. but only the ones listed above have EGR. and without it you will have a CEL that you can never get rid of. in some states this will prevent the car from passing inspection. and generally it will screw you on re-sale.

Am I going about trying to find an engine the wrong way? I thought for sure that I'd get a couple of offers/sittings on a running 2.2.

My internet search has found used engines for around $1000.00 +\- . Where are the engines that are in the $2-300 range?

I've been shopping RockAuto http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?cartid=246f1d68a14b777a7d6f824842eb30e7 (click on cart in RockAuto (I'm not sure how long the link is good)) and have racked up $320.56 in hypothetical parts for an engine rebuild. (This isn't including a belt kit from Ebay for around $75.00 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261058719354&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en) I say hypothetical because as of yet, I don't know the condition of the cylinders.

The previous mechanic has 3 hours into the car and has the engine out. I haven't confirmed this, but he states that there is some mechanical damage, but hasn't pulled a head.

Anyone know how these gasket sets are? http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-98-SUBARU-LEGACY-IMPREZA-2-2L-FULL-GASKET-SET-EJ22E-/140683701724?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASubaru%7CYear%3A1996&hash=item20c166eddc&vxp=mtr Do the headgaskets hold up? RA's price $165.89. Ebay's price $54.52. A difference of 111.37.

Thanks again for all of your input!

Ej22s are expensive and rebuilding one the right way is also expensive.. For example I'm a mechanic and do all my own work and get a 20% discount off subaru parts and just the timing setup water pump oil pump, not including the bearings and rings and head gaskets that I got somewhere else, cost me 750-800 with the discount. If your looking for cheap you could probably put a ej20 in and it'll work and could prolly get a used one for 500 running or if you not planning on keeping the car for more than a year do the eBay timing setup and head gaskets they'll deff last you a year at least probably

http://www.car-part.com

the ej22 engine is amazingly reliable and forgiving. a used engine is a prety safe bet, depending on mileage and how it came to be in the salvage yard.

find a good used engine with low miles, under 150 - 200k, and replace all the timing parts and seals before you install it.

engine - $500 or less

timing parts & seals - $200 or less

install - FREE do it and the timing work yourself.

Ej22s are expensive and rebuilding one the right way is also expensive.. For example I'm a mechanic and do all my own work and get a 20% discount off subaru parts and just the timing setup water pump oil pump, not including the bearings and rings and head gaskets that I got somewhere else, cost me 750-800 with the discount. If your looking for cheap you could probably put a ej20 in and it'll work and could prolly get a used one for 500 running or if you not planning on keeping the car for more than a year do the eBay timing setup and head gaskets they'll deff last you a year at least probably

this could not be more wrong, you can get these engines to 300 k with just headgaskets and timing parts. and maybe a coil or two. and some spark plugs. and air filter. and an alternator. knock sensor, and adding vtec

this could not be more wrong, you can get these engines to 300 k with just headgaskets and timing parts. and maybe a coil or two. and some spark plugs. and air filter. and an alternator. knock sensor, and adding vtec

Oh my bad I forgot your all building stock engines that don't make any power so crappy eBay engine parts made 5 year olds would hold up for you :-) and if they last to 300k how come there's so Many threads on here of 2.2s with blown head gaskets or slipped timing belts? I totally agree the bottom end will last for ever no matter how old the used engine is as long as you keep oil in it I'm just saying the eBay timing components and seals and gaskets mite not be worth it if your eBay timing belt stretches and slips and you toast your 2.2 your not Gunna be happy but yes the eBay parts should work for awhile like I said but that's a "should" you never know you could get a bad batch and the perfectly good engine you put in your car could turn into scrap metal... But I'm not saying you have to buy Subaru parts I just would I'm just trying to help you out in the long run but if your short on cash at the moment and feel like trusting eBay then get a used engine as cheap as you can find and change seals and timing setup and goodluck I'm just saying on my build I didn't leave anything up to luck I made sure every part will last me

look out, we have a difference of opinion. fur is going to fly.

Look I'm not trying to argue no fur is going to fly I'm sure your right and that and you could do it for 700 engine and parts and it be super reliable I'm just saying from experience you never know what goes wrong and it sucks when something happens that you could have provented but it most likely won't and I prolly went way over kill on my engine and still something could always happen like getting bad gas or something and blow a ring land but I just know other than that I'm set but your right for a car your just crusing in that's n/a a used 500$ one with 200$ parts would last you most likely as long as you own the car until you give it to your kids

I agree with the cost of rebuilding the engine. I have rebuilt a few subaru motors and all of them (besides the ej22t) have been upwards of $800-1000. $300-400 in machine work, $200 for gasket kit, $250 for timing belt kit, plus cleaning supplies/paint. You can skimp and get a $150 gasket kit, $150 timing belt kit and shady or no machine work done. It sure as hell wont make it past 300k though with those parts.

You can however find a junkyard ej22 for $200 and drop it in and most likely it will run for a long time.

Plans have changed! The car will be sent to the salvage yard. RIP! (Rust In Pieces)

Thanks to all of you for your input! As I don't own a Sub, this will probably be my last post.

So long!

Archived