LegacyGT.com

1991 4EAT slips horribly after fluid change

lolol

When I bought the car, I changed the fluid once, because it looked nasty. It's been ok since.

Well, the pan gasket started to leak, so I had to remove the fluid to change the gasket.

Now, it slips like hell, especially up hills.

I don't know the car's history, but perhaps its had band-aid additive by the previous owner? If so, what should I add to it at this point?

Happens a lot. The detergents in the fluid degrade over time. Sediments build up here and there. As the seals wear, varnishes and sludge build-up is all that maintains hydraulic pressure to clamp the clutch packs. Seals also get old and harden. Then you come along and change the fluid. The new fluid with it's aggressive detergents and seal-swelling agents. The detergents break down those varnishes and wash sludge and sediment away. The seal-swelling agents that keep newer seals plump and taut break apart old, hardened seals. Very soon you have a dramatic drop in system pressure as fluid hemorrhages past the now loose and crumbling seals, and the clutch packs don't grab anymore.

You can have the trans rebuilt with new seals and friction plates or find a better one used. Either way the tranny is coming out of the car.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I added Lucas Stop Slip. Car is drivable again. I'll leave the tranny alone until it really dies.

It's not nearly as good as before. It has a shudder and delayed engagement in reverse gear when its cold.

I added Lucas Stop Slip. Car is drivable again. I'll leave the tranny alone until it really dies.

It's not nearly as good as before. It has a shudder and delayed engagement in reverse gear when its cold.

IIWY I'd start sourcing a used tranny and getting quotes for new seals and friction. Ever thought about switching to 5MT?

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Archived