LegacyGT.com

Anyone had a front end clunking?

If youhaven't done your bearings yet I would suggest that. We have fixed ALOT of issues on LGTs that one wouldn't think would be bearing related by replacing the bearings.

-Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/141039922.jpg%5Dhttp://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Specifically which bearings??

Sent from my LG-MS695 using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is this a noise you can hear with the windows up or down? My car is exhibiting the same type of noise you are describing and I have checked and rechecked many of the things you are, but I can only hear my rattle when the windows are down.

Is this a noise you can hear with the windows up or down? My car is exhibiting the same type of noise you are describing and I have checked and rechecked many of the things you are, but I can only hear my rattle when the windows are down.

I can hear it with the window up or down, you may want to take the door panel off and do some investigating...there are only a couple things that can rattle in there. Or maybe check your calipers by pulling up on ramps, crawling under the car and shaking the calipers from the back, if you hear the clunking replace you caliper bushing.

I think i have the same noises as you, seems to be apparent up front, I've replaced and or confirmed tightness on everything so far. replaced the strut, new lca bushings, new sway bushings and endlinks, checked camber plate 17mm bolt on the coilover, replaced wheel bearing, checked ball joint, its tight as a taiwanese ass, tie rods as well, no play in steering mechanism, pre-load set appropriately. its really weird. my 09 2.5i did this at 15k miles even, seems to be notorious...

I think i have the same noises as you, seems to be apparent up front, I've replaced and or confirmed tightness on everything so far. replaced the strut, new lca bushings, new sway bushings and endlinks, checked camber plate 17mm bolt on the coilover, replaced wheel bearing, checked ball joint, its tight as a taiwanese ass, tie rods as well, no play in steering mechanism, pre-load set appropriately. its really weird. my 09 2.5i did this at 15k miles even, seems to be notorious...

Unfortunately, welcome to the club. Does putting more preload on the steering u-joint/track input shaft minimize the occurrence of your noise?...if you have not tried that look up a couple posts and i explain how to do that, give it a try and see if that helps...let me know.

Wow ! what a great bunch of info. My '05 LGT has that clunk when driving over irregular road or small pot holes or manholes that aren't even with the surface. I may print all the posts,since they've replaced shocks & end links & the tech said it may be swaybar bushings. I found honda aacord/prelude are similar to my 1" f. bar so I have them when they take the bar off & go for a spin. Hope you find it soon,so I can tell the "factory trained tech" what it is.

Not to hijack the OPs thread, but I finally found my clunk/rattle. I took apart my struts and while putting them back together I decided to add wire loom, you know the wrap around stuff, to the bottom two coils of the front Rallitek springs.

Believe it or not on the way to work, no noise!!! I can only hope this continues.

Good Luck to all of you!

^ Sounds like your strut may not be tightened down enough alllowing up-down spring movement between the bottom and the perch. Either that, or you tightened it on the spring reinstall after the wire loom material. BTW - source for the material?
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 1 month later...

yes, replaced inner and outer(2x) tie rods, that did not fix it. It must be 1 of three things:rack, bearings, strut...all of which I am in denile over. my next step is to swap sides on the stuts. then bearing replacement. if that doesn't fix it then I'll be living with this until a steering rack falls in my lap...free or at least super cheep.

hey subaru legay,

try preloading the steering knuckle(as previously described), I have a feeling this will help your problem since you just put a new rack in that knuckle may not have the same tension as it did.

little update...so went to subaru for a regular inspection and they diagnosed it as a leaking shock and that sound is coming from the top plate and quoted 1000$ to replace both front shocks. Afterwards went to another "reputable" tuning shop they said naah it has to be the outer tie rod end.

if it makes any difference it also creeks when sitting still.

The dealer replaced my front struts,thinking the same,but it's still there. They paid for one,I paid the other & it was less than $400. Shocks were definitely worn out,as I easily comperessed & pulled them apart.There was 75,645 miles on them. New end links didn't change it & when I took the tech for a ride, he said maybe the sway bar is moving. I'll let them remove it at the next oil change to see if it goes away. I have new bushings & clamps to put in after the test ride,that will show ??

• 1 month later...
The clunking noise was found today ! The Cobb sway bar bushings,that was installed at 41k miles,was the culprit ! Todays mileage was 78,802 when it went in for an oil change & a bad wheel bearing in the rear was replaced under warrantee. The service tech looked & shooked & pryed but when he disconnected the end links & moved the bar up & down he called me over & told me to do what he did. The bushings had worn oval & the play was enough to make the clunk sound over dips & manholes at low speed. I found 1" bushings & clamps at a Honda shopsince the accords of certain years had a 1' front bar. The rear bushings are next since even my old ears can hear the clunk back there.

Archived