LegacyGT.com

Speedometer Issue

So on the 99' it started life as a 4EAT but is now running a 5spd. So i have everything working BUT the speedometer. I do not have the trans that came out but I don't remember seeing a speed sensor plugged into that trans. went to the junk yard and got one out of both a 98' 4eat and i believe 97' 5spd. Both are two wire sensors (Black and White wires) got the speedometer working without the trans computer plugged in. But it was reading twice as fast. then the car started throwing a misfire code on cylinder #2. Checked everything and could not figure out what the misfire was coming from. plugged the trans computer back in and misfire code went away but killed the speedo. I'm at a loss and have no ideas. Anyone run into this before.

• 6 months later...

I've been searching the forum for a fix for my on/off speedometer problem. Did the "blue wire" fix which did not seem to do any good. So think it must be the speed sensors - '99 Legacy/Outback 2.5L with 4eat. Think there are two for this car. Questions are - How difficult are they to get at and replace? Assuming this is a driveway possible job, where is the best place to buy the sensors?

Thanks....

Archived