LegacyGT.com

Valve cover gaskets - easy or not

My sons 95 Legacy didn't pass inspection and the reason was there is oil on the engine from valve covers that are leaking.

What? That was a new one on me and in my 60 years I've never heard of an inspection failing because the engine was getting dirty. It was a safety inspection not an environmental inspection.

What happened was my son waited until the last day and couldn't go to my usual mechanics and we had to go to someone we never before used for inspection.

The shop owner telephoned me to tell me it wouldn't pass. First he said it was the head gasket. I say, that is odd because we aren't using any coolant and the car runs fine. I told him I am a car kind of guy and then he said, "well I mis-spoke, they are the valve covers that are leaking." He then said that the easiest way to fix it is to pull the engine. Hm? At that point I knew something was amiss. I've changed many a valve cover gasket on different types of cars. Some of the eight cyl rear gaskets are hard to do but I've never pulled an engine to replace the gaskets.

Then he said there is a very bad power steering leak. I then went on to tell him that in the past year (since my last fluid flush) I haven't had to put any power steering fluid in the reservoir and the fluid was at the recommended point in the reservoir. I told him don't touch the car, I'm on my way to get it. He did put a new emissions sticker on the car and I was out $70. :mad:

Looking at the car there doesn't seem to be anything unusual about replacing the valve cover gaskets or am I missing something on the Subbie horizontal engine?

He also said that we need rotors all the way around. I haven't pulled the wheels to look but from the other BS...I think he is probably lying. Plus doesn't the 95 Legacy L wagon have drums in the back?

I've seen mechanics take their fingers across the wiper blades, as if they are checking something. I can hear it now....lady you need new wiper blades! The inspection manual says if the blade cleans the windshield in 3 swipes, it passes. The feeling of the blade is show and a way to sell wiper blades.

My opinion is that the entire inspection thing is my State is set up to take advantage of unsuspecting car owners.

So are the gaskets an easy job?

Sounds like the shop was trying to take you for a ride. IF you have to replace your valve cover gaskets, then it's not a big deal and not too hard. But as others have said, don't torque down the bolts too much or they WILL snap. If they snap, you will have a big ass headache on your hands. The torque spec on the valve cover bolts is only like 14 lbs or something like that.

It sounds to me like you just need to take it to another inspector and see if it passes.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

Sounds like the shop was trying to take you for a ride. IF you have to replace your valve cover gaskets, then it's not a big deal and not too hard. But as others have said, don't torque down the bolts too much or they WILL snap. If they snap, you will have a big ass headache on your hands. The torque spec on the valve cover bolts is only like 4.7 lbs or something like that.

It sounds to me like you just need to take it to another inspector and see if it passes.

The torque value is not 14ftlbs, that will break them. The correct value is 4.7ftlbs or 56.4inlbs

Thanks for all the information and yes, I think he was trying to take me for a ride.

I thought that they were probably a piece of cake to replace.

Glad to hear they are discs on the rear because it has been forever since I did drums and my tools for that operation are someplace unknown to me.

I have a WV and Va state inspection card and that is the first time I have ever heard of anyone being failed because of fluid on the engine. Normally all we check is tires, body, suspension (cv boots, sagging springs etc) lights and exhaust. If I was you I would contact the state police and request a copy of the state inspectors book if it isnt in there then turn him it for fraud the will pull his license.

The mechanic said it poses a fire hazard. What a crock of you know what! Yes oil can burn but it isn't combustible like gasoline fumes. Even if you poured a can on the hot exhaust, I doubt that it would catch fire. Drips on an exhaust would dissipate as soon as it hit the exhaust. Smoke...yes....fire --- highly unlikely. Taking his view of hazards, yes there is a possibility that I could get struck by lightening.

So for $1,325, my neighbor the car dealer sold my son a 2002 Saturn L200, a very nice car. Now I get the Subbie to play with and will be getting it inspected. Not sure yet what I am going to do with the inspector.

I have a WV and Va state inspection card and that is the first time I have ever heard of anyone being failed because of fluid on the engine. Normally all we check is tires, body, suspension (cv boots, sagging springs etc) lights and exhaust. If I was you I would contact the state police and request a copy of the state inspectors book if it isnt in there then turn him it for fraud the will pull his license.

I have a bit of work to do on it. In May my son rear ended another car. I've already replaced the headlight and grill. The hood will need some TLC or a replacement. It looks like someone threw a small punch at the hood.

Then attend to some rust that is above the right rear wheel well.

Now that it is yours you are obliged to post a pic of your new L. They can look pretty sweet with a bit of elbow grease. :cool:

My valve cover is leaking as well mines on the driver side, good to know it sounds like a straight forward repair. Does anyone know how to tell how much oil is currently in the engine? I've been checking my oil regularly because of this leak, on the dip stick is showing below the F and I'm wondering if there is a way to tell how much oil to add if I was to do so because I have another good 1000 miles before the its time for a oil change.

Ok hopefully i didn't over fill it. I checked it this morning and it was reading just above the L on the dipstick so I added just over half a quart which brought it just below the F then I decided to check it once more after driving it all day and now its reading up to that notch on the dipstick above the F which worries me. Do you get the most accurate readings on the dipstick in the morning when the engine is cold or after driving it and letting it sit for a while when its still warm?

The owners manual says to warm up the engine for a few minutes and then checking the oil. This gives a few minutes for the oil to distribute throughout the engine. But I check mine cold too, it's not that much of a difference usually.

The mechanic said it poses a fire hazard. What a crock of you know what! Yes oil can burn but it isn't combustible like gasoline fumes. Even if you poured a can on the hot exhaust, I doubt that it would catch fire. Drips on an exhaust would dissipate as soon as it hit the exhaust. Smoke...yes....fire --- highly unlikely. Taking his view of hazards, yes there is a possibility that I could get struck by lightening.

So for $1,325, my neighbor the car dealer sold my son a 2002 Saturn L200, a very nice car. Now I get the Subbie to play with and will be getting it inspected. Not sure yet what I am going to do with the inspector.

Well, I tested this for you a few years ago with a Plymouth Sundance that was leaking oil and I had to add some. I added it to a hot engine and spilled some on the hot exhaust. YES oil does flair up and burn! I grabbed the windshield washer bucket and doused it. You guessed it! That spread the flames! I want inside and grabbed the fire extinguisher. When I got back to the car there was just a little flame that I blew out.

OIL will burn.

Archived