LegacyGT.com

Help me please..... p0021

I just finished a top end rebuild on my 06 LGT. We re-installed the engine and ran into some problems. I am going crazy, I am about to trade the car in but i really dont want to.

Issue #1 : I am reading a p0021 camshaft overadvanced code. Took out the solenoid and cleaned it and checked the bolt going into the solenoid. code went off for 30 miles and came back on. cruise flashing

Issue #2 : When driving normal the car runs fine. When you slowly accelerate it revs all the way out with no missfire. but when you are running it a little more harsh and it misses. I had a miss in cylinder 1. it missfired 12 times in a 10 minute drive. 2 and 3 missfired but only 2 times.

Isuue #3 : when the build was done the engine sounded nice. no noises or anything unusual. noticed today that there is a bit of a tapping noise coming from engine. almost sounds like exhaust leak but its not leaking.

Please help me. Is my timing belt off? I know that my engine is in safe mode cause my cruise is disengaged and looks like my wastegate is stuck open. Please help me. Im sick to my stomach cause i just sunk my savings into the engine and I really dont want to get rid of it.

Are you sure you have all the vacuum hoses re-installed. When I was putting mine back together, after thinking I was done with the intake install and I was putting the PS back on, I noticed a open port under the intake.

Can you do a leak test of the vacuum system.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

they are all hooked up but i am gonna be completely honest i dunno if they are on correct. just dont understand why wastegate is stuck open and car is making noises. i am so stressed out

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will chime in soon.

I'm sure you have stepped back, take a deep breath and look things over again.

Try PM'ing bmx045, m sprank, BAC5.2

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

0021 will come on for a couple reasons. 1. clogged banjo bolt beneath the turbo that is to feed oil to the turbo and avcs solenoid. lack of oil to the solenoid will throw that code. 2. the solenoid itself needs to be replaced- not uncommon, sometimes can cause rough idle and misfires when the solenoid is bad, they're $80 to replace. 3. turbo is blown, bearing material is being circulated around the engine causing rod knock. what is this tapping noise? what work did you do to the car? valve lash in spec?

we rebuilt the cylinder heads. the valve lash was of and we replaced a couple buckets and 2 valves. it got new head gaskets and a couple other things. yea we set the valve lash to factory spec. i feel like my car is having an oil problem. the only issue i have with that is we put in a new oil pump. oil is full in my car. the 0021 code is bank 2 which is the drivers side. that bolt and solenoid was fine. i dunno i am so lost. just wondering why the wastegate is stuck open?

Can you datalog using Romraider? if you can, log the AVCS left and right at idle, they should be the same value. My car threw the P0021 code, idled bad and misfired. It ended up being a bad OCV valve on the drivers side.
335HP/360Tq VF-22/1820 clone with Meth

i ran the numbers. i got a 9.4% to both sides. i was told the number should be 10%. where is the ocv valve. i took the one valve out on the front of the drivers side head and it looked good. its just strange that before the rebuild i had no codes or anything. i rebuilt the heads because of bad tapping. dumbass mechanic who installed new valves screwed me over and never set the lash. sounded like a lawnmower.

Front of the passenger side head

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4767.jpg

I believe P0021 is the passenger side head system any way.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4692.jpg

well i think my plan is to rip stuff off again and clean out all the oil lines and double check my oil pump. while its out i am going to take apart my turbo and check on everything. probably take valve covers off and double check my valve lash. started car up there is no rod knock which is good and when we had it apart the cylinder walls looked like new. so i am going to double check everything i can. have a subaru shop put on the vacuum lines and wiring cause i know i put vac lines on wrong becaus efrom everything i have been reading vac leaks are what is causing problems on my car. one guys car would stall when clutch was pushed in. mine did that and his was vac related. just dropped real low in rpm and stalled. hope everything goes well

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived