LegacyGT.com

Anyone plastidipped their rims with NO tires on???

pfoyle

I've got 4 OEM rims that I am planning to put snows on for the winter. I want to plastidip these rims, both for the color and to cover up some scratches/rash and hopefully protect them a bit for the future.

My question is, can I dip these rims with no tires on them? My concern is that the plastidip may then get ruined/peeled off/scratched up when I do have the winter rubber mounted. Does anyone have any EXPERIENCE with this? Opinions are welcome too, but experience would be especially useful. Can a plastidipped rim withstand new tires being mounted, or will it get ruined?

Also, if I dip just the wheels, do I need to avoid automated car washes?

TIA for any help!

It is easy to use the paint expecially when the tire is off. If it scratches just touch it up. It is really that easy. this paint works great. I have put my winter tires through crap and automative car washes all the time and it holds up great.

i wouldnt plasti dip them untill after you get the tires on. I just did mine yesterday and used some cardboard around the rim when i was spraying but alot of people use cards around the rim. if you get it on the tire it dosent stick as the tire is rubber and once dry it just wipes off.

Archived