LegacyGT.com

Massachusetts Laws

elle

I'm getting a new car in Massachusetts and it's getting closer to the date that I'm going to pick it up. I'm a little confused about the whole process with how to get a car cuz i hear that the rules there are strict. Can anyone here help me out with this? It's my first car and I'm moving out to the Boston area at the same time.

I've already gotten a policy number for my insurance which is supposed to start on the date that I'm going in to sign the papers on the car, but it seems like I can't actually pick it up that day. Some paperwork has to be exchanged between the dealer and the insurance company, etc etc. HELP!

Typically an RMV form is filled out by the dealer. Bring form to insurance to be stamped. Then the registry for plates and pay the 5% $ale$ tax. Back to the dealer.

Because I was transferring plates in MA, IRA Subaru did everything for me. I called my insurance with the VIN Number, and IRA electronically registered the car, paid the sales tax and put on an inspection sticker. Rob M.

Ask the dealer if they are a member of the Drive Program. That's MA dealers that can do all the registry for you. They fax the stuff to your insurance company and your insurance company faxes it back. The vehicle can then be registered and the sales tak paid with new plates. Best of luck, PM me if oyu have more questions. Welcome to the area.

Rick

Archived