LegacyGT.com

Tips for checking out first potential Subie - 05 GT Wagon 5MT

Surprised no one has told you why these are hard to find, they only made about 1446 5mt wagons with the turbo.

I have owned mine since new, late Jun 2004. If you can wait for the one you really want, this things are great.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yeah...I'm realizing that there were so few made to begin with...Pursuit Auto looks like a good place. I'm talking to Dan about the different Legacy GTs he has for sale, trying to get something in the works.

Chi-town is actually about 12 hrs drive for me, so not as bad as I originally thought, and I totally understand paying a bit of a premium for a low mileage 5mt wagon. We'll see what comes out of this!

Good Luck with your search.

Not to tease you but here are my cars.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4594-1.jpg

The wagon is 1 of 108 made. At the top of the 4th gen forum there is a sticky that talks about production numbers.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

OP - Max Capacity is right; If you can afford to wait for the right car, it's totally worth holding out for/paying a premium for the turbo 5-spd. The performance difference between the 2 is night and day and the power mod potential isn't even worth comparing. Drive the N/A and turbo sedans back-to-back if you want to experience it firsthand to help decide on a wagon.

• 2 weeks later...
Ha, I was looking at that very car earlier today, great color and a manual!

I think the big things to check for are the turbo, clutch/tranny, and a compression test. It sounds like you have your bases covered by taking it to an independent shop for assessment. As for the steering wheel, it looks like that upper perforated section has started to come off at the edges or may have come loose and can be rotated (if so, perhaps a change to negotiate the price down a bit).

Here's a closer shot:

http://cdnedge.vinsolutions.com/AP/2515-2-10267017-69961999-0-1433/69961999.jpg

This is what it is supposed to look like:

http://www.cstatic-images.com/supersized/DMI/7734/213354X.10.jpg

Good luck!

weird... i just test drove an 05 lgt wagon in nh that had the same issue with the steering wheel. i wonder if there was a bad batch of steering wheels or something. even the engine bay looked pretty similar. i came to this part of the forum looking for pics of stock engine bays.

Well, still looking here.

I'm looking in all corners of the universe for a decent LGT Wagon 5MT. My dad is actually an independent dealer and I have his login info for Manheim Auto Auctions and can search nationally and see what's available (at auction prices too.) Nothing really worthy to speak of. I found exactly 1 LGT wagon 5MT in the country in the 2-3 weeks and it came up today. No pics/info and it's running in an auction lane that's normally reserved for wrecked cars, so that's not too promising...it's also 400 mile away so...

I've got dibs on a black wagon from a fellow forum member, but he's not really ready to sell yet because of some family obligations, so I'm still looking.

Anyone wanna let theirs go??? :D

Well, still looking here.

I'm looking in all corners of the universe for a decent LGT Wagon 5MT. My dad is actually an independent dealer and I have his login info for Manheim Auto Auctions and can search nationally and see what's available (at auction prices too.) Nothing really worthy to speak of. I found exactly 1 LGT wagon 5MT in the country in the 2-3 weeks and it came up today. No pics/info and it's running in an auction lane that's normally reserved for wrecked cars, so that's not too promising...it's also 400 mile away so...

I've got dibs on a black wagon from a fellow forum member, but he's not really ready to sell yet because of some family obligations, so I'm still looking.

Anyone wanna let theirs go??? :D

check back with me in about 9 years, both older kids will be out of college by that time and I may get myself an update :lol:

What about that black LGT wagon at pursuitauto ? Not liking the price ?

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Haha! I don't know if I can wait that long :D

Yeah, the black wagon at pursuit is just too high. He won't really come off the price more than a couple hundred $$, I'd have to take off work and deal with getting to airport, then fly, then get to his place, and then spend a full day driving it back. I just don't wanna do that if I don't have to.

We're not really in a huge time crunch with this so I'm trying to exhaust my more local options before we spend way more than we want to and have to travel just to get a car. Don't get me wrong, the car looks quite nice and is most likely one of the nicest/lowest mileage I've seen in 2 months of looking, but at a certain point it just becomes not worth it if you have to do so much to get it. When I was single I would have already done it, but it's a bit different when you've got family responsibilities.

On the other hand, the only reason I wasn't considering the Outback XT was because of the two-tone body cladding (eehhhhhh) and the 2.5" higher ride height. Yesterday I came across a seemingly very well maintained/up to date OBXT that has been lowered about 1.5" and doesn't have the two-tone. More miles, but the seller is asking $5k less than the one at Pursuit and it's much closer. Won't be able to really do anything until next weekend, but we'll see how that goes. Looks promising!

I gotta say...a lowered outback without the two tone looks really awesome!

I will be looking to sell my 05 LGT wagon 5spd in the next few weeks. I'm looking to move into a beater so I can save some $$ for a home addition. I haven't decided on an asking price yet but it has 79k miles on it and runs like a dream, all stock. I'm located in NY. If you are interested shoot me a PM.

I will be looking to sell my 05 LGT wagon 5spd in the next few weeks. I'm looking to move into a beater so I can save some $$ for a home addition. I haven't decided on an asking price yet but it has 79k miles on it and runs like a dream, all stock. I'm located in NY. If you are interested shoot me a PM.

I sent you a PM.

weird... i just test drove an 05 lgt wagon in nh that had the same issue with the steering wheel. i wonder if there was a bad batch of steering wheels or something. even the engine bay looked pretty similar. i came to this part of the forum looking for pics of stock engine bays.

My 05 RBP LGT wagon has a bit of separation on the right side of the steering wheel also -- not as bad as the picture but it is noticeable and not flush like on the "good" picture.

Well guys, I finally got one. LGT Wagon Limited, 5MT, Brilliant Silver w/ black leather, 74k miles, appears to be all stock. $10k. All the options/color combo/mileage I was looking for.

Had to fly up to NJ this morning and am driving it back today and tomorrow. It's not a cream-puff cosmetically, but mechanically it feels very good and strong. FINALLY GOT A 5MT WAGON!

Thanks for all the helpful responses in this thread!

I'll update the thread in a couple of days with some pics...

Congrats! I think I was calling that dealer about that car as you were picking it up! Hey, I sent you a pm....I have some questions about what a wagon that's lived most of it's life in NJ is like when it comes to corrosion.

check your PM's

• 2 weeks later...
Would love to see pics of the ride.....good price too. I just picked up an 05 LGT ltd sedan 5MT a few weeks back. Red, tan leather interior, 65,000 miles with minor issues for $12,500. I have been looking for an unmolested LGT turbo for years and they are very rare to come by in Wisconsin. People that have them, dont sell them.......glad to be an owner. Also equally bummed to hear that subaru has disco'd the LGT turbo's for 2013. I guess I know what my next car is going to be.......2012 LGT 6MT in a few years.....LOL!

Archived