LegacyGT.com

Installed LEDs - Backup Camera Interference?

Darksabre

Hey guys,

I need some help troubleshooting my 2010 Legacy GT Limited w/NAV backup camera issues.

So I bought some Reverse CREE LED's (921_9W_W_6K), and brake light LED's (7443_20_P_R) from VLEDS.com. All LED's work just fine, however when I went to test the reverse LED's, I noticed my backup camera was flipping the heck out. It looks like it basically has lost its vertical lock (image is distorted and scans rapidly from top to bottom).

If I press on the brake, it seems to change the distortion a little

After work tonight, I'm going to pull the backup leds and see if it fixes it, and then I'll pull the brake leds and see if that does anything.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions or experience in getting the backup camera to work with LED's installed?? I was pretty surprised in the interference really. LED's should be relatively noiseless, especially since they're not having to convert AC to DC. Arg.

-Aaron

Alright, I pulled the backup CREE LED out, and the camera is perfectly fine. So, the red brake light LED's are probably not the problem.

Now the new question: why does installing LEDs in my brake light sockets cause the camera to freak out?

I have a feeling it's the spectrum of light or something.... But to test this, keep the bulbs connected, but cover them up with something so that no light gets out. That way, you'll be able to tell if it's electrical interference, or something to do with the light output itself.

Based on the description of how the camera responds when the reverse lights are on, I tend to think that having the LED in the same power circuit as the camera could be causing powerline noise. I'd be willing to bet that if you used the LED light as the reverse light with an appropriate-sized resistor, the camera wouldn't get all wonky when you shift into reverse.
Tits mcgee

I have a feeling it's the spectrum of light or something.... But to test this, keep the bulbs connected, but cover them up with something so that no light gets out. That way, you'll be able to tell if it's electrical interference, or something to do with the light output itself.

Thanks for the suggestion. I believe I eliminated this theory with the following test. I left the backup LEDs plugged in, and opened the trunk so that the camera is facing the sky (the LEDs are very directional and aim straight back). Put it in reverse, and noted that the screen was still distorted in the same way.

:spin:

Based on the description of how the camera responds when the reverse lights are on, I tend to think that having the LED in the same power circuit as the camera could be causing powerline noise. I'd be willing to bet that if you used the LED light as the reverse light with an appropriate-sized resistor, the camera wouldn't get all wonky when you shift into reverse.

I'm not sure, but I don't think resistors eliminate noise on a line. (except in long transmission lines where you need termination resistors to match the characteristic impedance of the wire used.)

Thanks for the suggestion. I believe I eliminated this theory with the following test. I left the backup LEDs plugged in, and opened the trunk so that the camera is facing the sky (the LEDs are very directional and aim straight back). Put it in reverse, and noted that the screen was still distorted in the same way.

:spin:

Okay, yeah, then it's some sort of noise/interference in the electrical system, hmmm... wtf then. Never thought LEDs would generate noise like that.

Maybe use a different grounding wiring for the camera?

I'm not sure, but I don't think resistors eliminate noise on a line. (except in long transmission lines where you need termination resistors to match the characteristic impedance of the wire used.)

I don't really know without seeing what's going on... but the only difference seems to be the bulb vs. the LED. So when there is some resistance/impedance in the line, there's no noise on the camera. When there's only the LED, well, you get what the OP is seeing.

Tits mcgee

I doubt it's a voltage drop issue - those LED lights he's using don't use a simple resistor, they're using a driver circuit of some sort, which is electronic and quite possibly introducing electrical noise into the circuit.

Don't ask me how to suppress it :p

I doubt it's a voltage drop issue - those LED lights he's using don't use a simple resistor, they're using a driver circuit of some sort, which is electronic and quite possibly introducing electrical noise into the circuit.

Don't ask me how to suppress it :p

Ah, if there's a driver circuit they've likely got a (cheap) DC-DC switching power supply then. You're like seeing the switching frequency of the DC-DC converter, which is typically a ~10 kHz.

The simplest thing to try would be wrapping the wires around a ferrite core (like are used for computer cables).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_bead

Archived