LegacyGT.com

Swapped cars with my buddy this weekend

My buddy asked if he could borrow my Legacy and trailer to take his motorcycle somewhere and offered his 2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium 5MT in exchange.

Not a bad little car at all to drive. It certainly is gutless. You don't get much power until you are above 3500 RPM. The AC is a power hog and almost needs to be turned off if you want any kind of acceleration power. I think they could have underdriven that one a little bit. On a conservative 250 mile drive, I pulled 38.4 MPG and on a more spirited drive on the way back I got 37.2MPG. I never would have thought that a small AWD wagon could get those numbers.

I drove a loaner 4 door 2012 Subaru Impreza Premium CVT when getting my 30,000 service a month ago. Not a bad little car and I agree it is down on power. I drove the crap out of it the day I had it but noticed it was still getting in the middle 30mpg range. I was impressed by that. My biggest complaint though was road noise. Is it just me or are many new cars getting louder on the inside? A friend just purchased a new Passat tdi and I love everything but the front wheel drive and road noise. Thing is way louder than my 09 Outback and 05 Accord.

My buddy asked if he could borrow my Legacy and trailer to take his motorcycle somewhere and offered his 2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium 5MT in exchange.

Not a bad little car at all to drive. It certainly is gutless. You don't get much power until you are above 3500 RPM. The AC is a power hog and almost needs to be turned off if you want any kind of acceleration power. I think they could have underdriven that one a little bit. On a conservative 250 mile drive, I pulled 38.4 MPG and on a more spirited drive on the way back I got 37.2MPG. I never would have thought that a small AWD wagon could get those numbers.

Good to hear about your real world experience with mpg on the 5MT. The 5MT 2.0i is rated at 33 mpg highway vs. 36 mpg highway for the CVT. I am considering the 5-door 2.0i either Premium or Sport Premium as a possible choice for a daily driver. (My other choice is the $5-7K more expensive Jetta TDI Sportwagen 6MT.) I test drove a base model 2.0i 5MT and found it to be pleasant, slowish, yet very roomy. (97 cubic feet of interior passenger space is the same as my BP LGT wagon. The primary difference is in cargo space behind the rear seat, where my wagon has 34 cubes vs. 22 cubes for the 5-door Impreza.)

The more I read, the more I'm hearing that all MT cars will be gone within the next few years. Sadness... Automatic transmissions have proven themselves reliable and now they are getting as good if not better MPGs than manual trans. I firmly believe that you can still get as good of MPGs with a manual trans as you can with an automatic. It really comes down to how you drive the car and how much you let the computer take control.

the more i read, the more i'm hearing that all mt cars will be gone within the next few years. Sadness... Automatic transmissions have proven themselves reliable and now they are getting as good if not better mpgs than manual trans. I firmly believe that you can still get as good of mpgs with a manual trans as you can with an automatic. It really comes down to how you drive the car and how much you let the computer take control.

+1

Interesting - think the chassis will make for a good WRX? ;)

The more I read, the more I'm hearing that all MT cars will be gone within the next few years. Sadness... Automatic transmissions have proven themselves reliable and now they are getting as good if not better MPGs than manual trans. I firmly believe that you can still get as good of MPGs with a manual trans as you can with an automatic. It really comes down to how you drive the car and how much you let the computer take control.

The sad truth. Top Gear demonstrated a while back how important driving style was (although they went a bit overboard with it) in their Prius-vs-M3 segment, and that's what most of the non-car world is unwilling to admit.

As for the standard transmission itself, it's hard to tell where it's going. Auto journalists have been saying the option will be limited to high-end models, but as we've seen with Ferrari and Lamborghini, that's not necessarily the case. Maybe, in years to come, the manual will continue as an aftermarket modification, though - for the price of a turbo kit (or similar high-end modification), you could get a six-speed put in, or something? If it was that or an auto, I'd go for it.

-Leadfoot

Archived