LegacyGT.com

Finally decided: Upgrading My Car's Audio

mmanus88

made the comitment, install will take place this saturday. the boys at 6th ave really kno their shit. in a nutshell, two of the latest JL subs, 500 watts a peice. diamond COAX speakers all around, jl 5 channel amp, i kno not detailed but i didn't really pay attention to model numbers. went over my budget by a bit, but prices were fair. will post pics when its done. one question tho, the guy said that one thing i should sleep on is insurance on the amp ($70 for 5 years). u guys think i should do it or not? i kno i spent so much money so far, but any more and i will take a gun to my head :lol:

insurance? You mean an extended warranty. What's the warranty on JL? Who is the extended warranty through (N.E.W. is the biggest)?

Nice job on the parts by the way - PGT approves. :D

yes extended warrenty, my bad. not sure which type, lets assume its a very good warrenty service. should i do it? i am also contemplating whether or not i should let them install a pioneer 6 cd changer/magazine in there. as u all kno the install of a navi (the avic-n2) rendered my factory 6 cd changer worthless, guy said there is no feasible way of making it work again. the cd changer can be done for $115 installed. that would bring this whole mess to about $1850. i am going to try swapping out cds through the navi unit today, see if its really annoying. if i can live without the 6 cd changer, i will live without it. if not i guess i'm spending more cash :(. anyways, what is your opinion on the warrenty?

I used to sell warranties. JL warrants their amps for 2 years, so it will cost you $70 for three additional. Find out who the warranty is through...that matters. Basically, any repair needed will exceed $70, so if you are worried about something happening, it's a good deal. My experience is that amps will have issues in the first six months or won't at all - they don't experience wear like a speaker or cd player would.

switching cds through one slot doesn't seem to bad, just have to make an easy way of switching in my car (one of those cd sleeve things on my visor, possibly?) i already tried cd storage cases, too much fiddling around, about the warrenty, i will find out, i cna make that decision last minute, i will find out by friday. if its a good warrenty, do u reccomend i do the $70?

Don't mess with the warranty (the amp "insurance"). The only real reason for something to fault with it, not including factory defects which are already covered, is poor installation. You'll know in the first month if it was done right, and these guys probably guarantee their install work for life as most shops do.

Statistically, for every dollar we spend on insurance we'll see a $.10 return on claims.

As for the system, I respect Patagonia's opinions above, he's clearly been around the audio world a while & knows his stuff (did you know Levinson actually did a test with their monoblock amps once - they were able to arc-weld with it!). You can trust the advice he's thrown out here.

If I were to change one thing out of the above equation I'd say spend a bit more on your front speakers & get a respectable component system. You've got the cut-outs in the door already & sonically they are sooo much better than the coax's (which are fine in the rear). Your ears will thank you. Spend some time auditioning them in the showroom before deciding tho. And go for the JL amp over the Alpine - much better quality IMO.

Good luck.

Haha...I did know that about the Levinson amps. Nuts.

Manville Smith of JL recommends NOT doing separates up front (he has an LGT) and I would agree. The best imaging comes from point source placement....both woofer and tweeter in the same plane. Most better quality components offer a 'bridge-mount' option to allow the tweeter to be kept close to the woofer. Go this route, or pick the best 'bridge mount coaxes' out there....they should have an outboard x-over network, just like the separates.

If your shop is willing, try both mounting options and go with what works best for your ear and budget. That's always most important.

I have run MB Quart bridge mounts with MusiComp x-overs for several years now. They use the same woofer and tweeter as offered in the 'separates' product. Install is easier and you don't lose anything as far as staging goes.

will skip warrenty (yay :)). if i didn't do the coaxs i'd be spending at least another 200, and i listned to the difference in the show room. i do not have the "golden ear" and i heard no difference, everything sounded equally amazing to me, and it will, of course, sound even better in the car. boulder, if u look at my previous post i did go with teh jl 5 channel amp. even the 6th ave said in the past alpine just does not go with jl because of impedence and problems.

panta: according to the 6th ave guy, the diamons are the best speakers and well as coaxs he carries. supposedly they have replaced mb quarts (which he said he uses personally in his car). i will not leave that shop until i am satisfied, i have full confidence that these guys will do the best job possible (as they did with my avic unit).

i also want to ask (its pretty dumb) but how do u guys organize your cds in the car. like i said before, i want to try just switching out of one cd slot instead of spending an extra $115 on another 6 cd changer. do u use visor cd holders? i know cases don't work for me, too much foa distraction on the road.

Haha...I did know that about the Levinson amps. Nuts.

Manville Smith of JL recommends NOT doing separates up front (he has an LGT) and I would agree. The best imaging comes from point source placement....both woofer and tweeter in the same plane. Most better quality components offer a 'bridge-mount' option to allow the tweeter to be kept close to the woofer. Go this route, or pick the best 'bridge mount coaxes' out there....they should have an outboard x-over network, just like the separates.

mmanus88 - Ignore this, as we're getting technical here & won't really change anything for you.

Yes, correct about the point-source alignment, but that means lining up the voice coils in the same plane. A coax doesn't do this, plus your ears are +/- 70 degrees off so I think that theory goes out the window. I feel the biggest 2 benefits to components are the outboard x-over which is much better than a coax (altho it sounds like that's changing with new bridge designs) and the ability to maneuver the tweeter for best staging. Aiming the tweeter at your ankles puts your ears so far off-axis that I find significant seperation in the channels & little cohesion. My personal preference is dash-mounted firing straight up into the glass, bright but has amazing dispersion & staging. At the very least just raising the tweeters brings the soundstage up to a more musical...uh...something.

anyway, my $.02. I'm sure he'll be very happy with the coax's if he goes that way.

i also want to ask (its pretty dumb) but how do u guys organize your cds in the car. like i said before, i want to try just switching out of one cd slot instead of spending an extra $115 on another 6 cd changer. do u use visor cd holders? i know cases don't work for me, too much foa distraction on the road.

I've gone entirely to the Ipod wired direct to the amps. This is soo much easier now. Used to use big cd folders with 50-100 or so each.

not much of an mp3 player guy. i always buy them and loose them :) . not changing the subject, i still want peoples input on the cd thing, but would i be able to hardwire my sirius through the amp now? sorry if its stupid question i'm just a novice with car audio

mmanus88 - Ignore this, as we're getting technical here & won't really change anything for you.

Yes, correct about the point-source alignment, but that means lining up the voice coils in the same plane. A coax doesn't do this, plus your ears are +/- 70 degrees off so I think that theory goes out the window. I feel the biggest 2 benefits to components are the outboard x-over which is much better than a coax (altho it sounds like that's changing with new bridge designs) and the ability to maneuver the tweeter for best staging. Aiming the tweeter at your ankles puts your ears so far off-axis that I find significant seperation in the channels & little cohesion. My personal preference is dash-mounted firing straight up into the glass, bright but has amazing dispersion & staging. At the very least just raising the tweeters brings the soundstage up to a more musical...uh...something.

anyway, my $.02. I'm sure he'll be very happy with the coax's if he goes that way.

Yes, all good points. One workaround is to do point source in the doors and run a second tweeter set up high on the dash, crossed over at 10K so as not to interfere with staging but to 'lift' it. Call it an 'air tweeter'....very effective.

The 'bridge-mount' coax design have been around a LONG time. I bought my first set back in '97 I think. The Quarts at least are identical to the Quart separates....the x-over network is altered a bit to account for the design and that's it. They also use a rotating mount for the tweeter for getting the proper angle. Boston Acoustics Pro series separates (one of the gold standards) started including a bridge-mount adpator back around the .5 model revision ('99 IIRC). I made my own for Quart Q series ($800 separates) back in the day as well (with another set of std. .75 tweeters in the dash-top location).

i got all my stuff installed, this system is bangin! clarity is amazing and the bass is hard hitting, yet not so hard that the neihbors will go into cardiac arrest. the install was done beautifully, only my trunk (where the spare is) wasn't properly held up wit the tool kit and spare as it did coming from factory,; all the weight of the amp and sub do not allow me from getting under there and properly organizing things for proper weight support. but whatever, install still looks great. for those of you who were interested, i have all 4 speakers and the subwoofer ready to go on monday (speakers are out, sub left in, will have dealer remove). like i said, local pickup (delivery if i happen to be in the area) would be more preferable.

i am getting the car detailed on tuesday and will have pics of every aspect of my legacy posted after the detailing. the only thing i wouldn't want u to see is my curb rashed-rims :lol: . oh well.

-mike

again, wanna bump this thread. 4 stock speakers and oem sub (no harness) for sale. prefer local buyers who can pickup.

Please start a new thread in your local forum or in the classifieds. You won't get many buyers here. The only thing that people would want to buy is the subwoofer anyways, and the harness is needed (so the cost of the new one needs to be factored into your asking price).

Guy,

I work for 6 ave electronics a can tell you we have some of the best mobile brands and car installers in the country. Our website is very old and will be updated in the comming months. If you like ask for Fred he is the store mgr at the 17 location have him contact Don at RT22 headquarters and tell him Tom sent you. You will get avery good price and the right advice.

if u read the other post u will see my car was busted by another driver earlier this morning. thankfully none of the audio equipment was touched. the car might have ot be totaled, however. i've heard of fred and i will mention that, thanks very much! will be needing a new install job soon :lol:

Archived