LegacyGT.com

Timing Job and Oil leaks

My timing belt is due in a few thousand miles and I have oil flying everywhere from somewhere in front of my motor. I looked underneath and saw oil coming from my timing cover. Ok. Most likely Cam or Crank Seals. They were done about 50k miles ago and it's a bit scary that they're probably leaking again, but que sera, sera.

My problem is that it looks like someone was harsh with the car before me and hit some stuff. The front metal bits behind the bumper and under the rad is all mangled in one area. There is also a large dent in my oil pan (which doesn't seem to be leaking) In all of this, it looks like the bottom bolt holes for my timing cover were broken off. Is this extremely important?

no problem. some folks run with out timing covers. i would just try to have them sit in place and not rattle. i have used a zip tie to hold some on. you just have to be carefull making the holes. and there may not be a lot of room for a drill with the engine in the car.

cam and crank seals are one possibility but the oil pump seal and o-ring are another. but regardless of the cause, do everything.

all the front seals for an ej22 will cost about $35 from the dealer (water pump gasket included, i think). less on line but you have to pay shipping. ej25 may be a little more.

check the o-ring on the base of the oil fill pipe. all of mine leak there. the last one i did i used RTV. i was 45 minutes from the dealer and i did not want to wait.

is the hydraulic tensioner on the list of "should do" bits?

in my opinion, it depends on the year.

the old style, the two piece style, 90 - 97ish, i say no, unless the piston is leaking or obviously bad. but you MUST change the idler that rides on it.

the new style, one piece, 98ish - 04+, absolutely yes. replace it.

so what year, model, miles, trans are we talking about, anyway?

ok, so it is a non-interference engine.

the tensioner is the old style 2 part type. replace the idler when doing the timing belt but not the piston unless it is leaking or damaged.

depending on what you replaced last time i would replace everything else. if you did not do the water pump, do it this time, NOW if you are eager to stop the leaks. if you did not do the idlers, do them now. etc.the bearings in the idlers will not last forever. and the kits for these can be had on ebay (theimportexperts) for ~$135 shipped, water pump included. then you buy the seals from the dealer for $35 and you are good to go.

then you drive it for 60k miles, and then do it again.

Archived