LegacyGT.com

oil leak and engine smoke

My legacy has been leaking oil, small amounts but enough to notice, it seems to be coming from the oil pan or possible the oil seperator plate? You can tell the oil pan gasket was definetly replaced at one point and the oil leaks all over the engine cross member, oil pan, and the exhaust, and some of the tranny. it wouldnt be a big deal but whenever its parked after a long drive smoke is coming from the engine bay and it looks atrocious. is anyone able to narrow this down and farther? dont want to have to pull the engine if I dont have to, the valve covers seem fine, as do the cam seals and the oil pan.

If it is coming from the oil separator plate then you will have to remove the engine or the transmission to replace it. It if is your rear main seal leaking, then you will still have to remove the engine or transmission.

If it is your oil pan leaking then you will have to jack up your engine to replace the oil pan seal.

I just pulled my engine for the first time a month ago and was surprised how easy it was. Pull that, so you don't have to be at an awkward angle to replace stuff. Plus if it was your oil pan you still would have to jack up the engine to replace it so I think the engine out would be best.

not meaning to hijack the thread or anything but... i have the same problem with oil leaking onto the road when it's parked overnight and dripping onto the exhaust creating a terrible burning smokey smell after a longish (or sometimes short) drive.

where is the oil separator plate and/or the oil pan located? how can i check which one it might be?

the cars a 95 legacy TS (BG5). it's a JDM model, ej20

it is really hard to say which is leaking the worst. you can buy some brake parts cleaner and spray off the under side of the engine and then look for what comes back first. this may help isolate the leaking.

doublr check to make sure the top of the block is not wet under the power steering pump.

i'd like to know how you can tell the oil pan gasket has been replaced? they don't usually leak. there is nothing worng with replacing them when the engine is out of the car for something but i would NEVER pull or even lift an engine to replace an oil pan gasket. they are usually pretty reliable and rarely fail. and the factory uses a ''sealant'' in stead of a gasket. i think it is red in color.

have the head gaskets ever been done? the engine should have been removed for that.

but the bottom line is if the engine has never been out, the oil separator plate IS leaking on the rear of the engine block behind the flex plate / fly wheel. the replacement plate w/ new screws are not expensive, about $35 . but you do have to pull the engine to reach it.

but first, clean off the bottom of the engine. especially around the valve covers. they can leak pretty badly. and any leak on the front of the engine will end up on the trans when you drive.

how many miles?

when was the timing belt last done?

if you are close, bite the bullet , pull the engine and reseal every thing while doing a COMPLETE timing belt job replace ALL the idlers, tensioner and water pump. especially if you are keeping the car a long time.

it can be on some years.

the o-ring in between the reservoir on top and the steering pump underneath craps out and it leaks. it is a one bolt and one hose? repair, but the bolt is inside the reservoir and you have to remove the fluid with a turkey baster. ideally not the one you wife uses on thanksgiving.

• I Donated
is this a common issue?

very.

I've had 6 Legacys and all of them had leaked like that.

Rear separator plate is very common as well.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

dam there's lots of different reasons.

it's a 1995 with 101,000km (~63,000 miles). pretty low km, its due for a new timing belt any day now just haven't got the funds. we do them every 100,000km in nz.

could that be the issue?

i have read in a couple of different post recently that the t-belt interval is in fact 100,000km in the asian market. do you happen to know if this is true for both the ej22 (ej20) and the ej25??

here in the US the interval for the ej25 is 105,000miles, about 175,000km. i'm just wondering if the extra long interval is a US only thing.?

i have read in a couple of different post recently that the t-belt interval is in fact 100,000km in the asian market. do you happen to know if this is true for both the ej22 (ej20) and the ej25??

here in the US the interval for the ej25 is 105,000miles, about 175,000km. i'm just wondering if the extra long interval is a US only thing.?

i've never heard of a different interval for different engines here. no matter what make or model of a car, most people replace it at 100,000km. i could be wrong however, don't take my word for it.

the reason i'm comfortable not replacing my timing belt asap (and probably won't do it until the end of the year) is because you guys in the states have extra long intervals!

i was just wondering if subaru changed the interval here with out changing anything but the belt. in other words, when california (pretty sure this is where it came from) demanded a 105k mile interval suabru said ''ok, here is a better belt, now the interval is 105k miles''. and basically just took a chance on all the other timing parts, idlers, water pump and tensioner. not very scientific.

any way, thanks for the reply.

it can be on some years.

the o-ring in between the reservoir on top and the steering pump underneath craps out and it leaks. it is a one bolt and one hose? repair, but the bolt is inside the reservoir and you have to remove the fluid with a turkey baster. ideally not the one you wife uses on thanksgiving.

very.

I've had 6 Legacys and all of them had leaked like that.

Rear separator plate is very common as well.

damn, looks like im going to be doing this tomorrow. nice puddle on the block below the reservoir, as well as a good amount of drip down the hoses on the side i have the most oil leak problems.

damn, looks like im going to be doing this tomorrow. nice puddle on the block below the reservoir, as well as a good amount of drip down the hoses on the side i have the most oil leak problems.
when i did this, i left the bolt in the reservoir. getting it out was a little troublesome. so i left it in the bolt hole and just move the whole thing out of the way. replaced the o-ring and then set it back in place.

the fluid that you could not remove will drip down onto the block.

HTH

Archived