LegacyGT.com

suggestions/tips please

prodrifterx

I will have to do a throwout bearing soon as its shot and am thinking i might as well throw a clutch and pilot bearing in too while im there, as well as my gearbox mount bushings.

how hard or difficult is the task with car on 4 jack stands?

any tips or suggestions?

i am a mechanic/tech daily but wont have access to air nor to a lift.

how long do most of you get out of a factory clutch assembly?

to my knowledge unless clutch was done prior to 40k when i bought the car, it hasnt been done nor needed yet.

06 LGT 5 spd. stock save for suspension upgrades. 87k miles.

daily driver, 100miles/day (100/295/395 [DMV area]pasadena to shirlington)

TIA.

See the sticky up top of this forum.

I pulled my tranny last year in the driveway and used the 6 ton jack stands from harbor fright to get the car high enough for the HF $70 tranny jack. You need to get clearance under the car for the 18" bell housing and the jack.

You'll need to hold the engine tilted back with some blocks of wood, it wants to tilt forward.

It's a pretty straight forward job.

You'll need the torx plus 50 bit from Fred Beans Subaru a vendor here. You should also get the single mass FW and trash that dual mass that came in the car.

It's all talked about here.

I have good luck with Spec Clutches, I just replaced my Spec 2+ with a Spec 2 and enjoy the 2 much better. I got 80,000 miles + out of the 2+.

Oh yea don't get a Al FW stay with steel.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

ok thanks.

i welcome anyone else with suggestions tips or answers to my questions please....

yea i have been busy so haven't been on to frequent forums like i used to. thanks for info on sticky. the t50p isnt a problem as i have one, and i have countless 2x4s, and 6 -2 or 3 ton rated jack stands. so stay with a steel single mass fw. with my commute and daily driving and stock driveline and stock engine would you still recommend a spec clutch?

I really enjoy the 700 miles I have on the Spec2. It feels like a oem clutch, but I have much more confidence that it will not slip when backing up in 3" snow like all my OEM Subaru clutch's have.

Contact Mike at AZPinstalls.com and tell him I sent you. He can get you anything you want.

If your on the west coast try "m sprank" and buy from him.

I have also used and heard good customer service from JSCspeed, a vendor here. My Spec 2+ came from him back in Jun 07.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

You'll need pry bars to get the tranny off the engine the first time. It can be a PITA to do that.

Use anti-seize compound on all the nuts and bolts when you go back together and the two pins on the block.

Make sure you wire brush the mounting face on the tranny and the back of the block. Keep it clean for a good ground path.

Make sure the TOB fork is on the pivot ball before you "bolt" the tranny in. Trust me on that one...they have a habit of falling off the pivot ball while your moving the tranny around to line it up.

Archived