LegacyGT.com

Rear Diff problem?

I was a 99 brighton wagon. when I go around tight corners, say turning from one side street to another going 30km/h or faster the rear tires chirp. should i change the rear diff fluid? I know it has not been done in a long time, if ever.

Thanks

it sounds like torque bind.

auto or manual trans?

usually caused by a bad part in the ''transfer clutch'' in the rear extension housing on the trans. auto and manual repairs are different only because the trans are different.

but it could be caused by an odd size tire, or improper inflation. check your tires, they should be all the same brand, size, tread, inflation, and wear.

All the tires are the same, all new a year ago with lots of tread still. It is a 5spd, and it does need a clutch soon (slipping). The other day when I was doing my rear breaks (which wont stop squeaking now, drums) I had only one side of the car jacked and buddy I was doing it with spun the tire around a few times, would this do this?

the manual trans has a viscous coupling in the rear extension of the trans. this is like a limited slip differential, at least the limited slip part. when the from wheels (trans out put shaft) is spinning faster than the rear wheels, (output shaft) the viscous coupling ''grabs / grips'' tighter and reduces / eliminates the slip (speed difference).

when this viscous coupling fails, it tends to ''grab'' all the time creating a ''locked'' 4wd set up. this is just like a 4wd truck on dry pavement with ''locked'' front hubs. this causes torque bind, or the stuff you are feeling in tight slow turns.

the fix is replacing the viscous unit which can be done with out removing the trans. or replacing the trans. the trick is finding one you know is good.

you can find a lot of parts at www.car-part.com but i doubt they will list this part. you may have to call and talk to the yard to see if they have what you need.

or place an ad here in the ''wanted'' section of the classifieds.

ok thanks for the info. I have guy close to where I live that has a yard full of subarus, ill give him a call. Will my service manual have enough info about removing and replacing this?

you can use a viscous unit out of any manual trans 90 - 04.

this does not mean you can swap in any manual trans 90 - 04. the outbacks and GTs have different final drive ratio. so study up or ask before you buy a complete trans for a swap.

my car has the same problem. the car will somtimes bind so bad that it stops in its tracks while turning into a park space. does anyone know what actually is causeing it to go bad? i just put fluild in. not subaru fluid but snythetic 75-90

year model miles and trans please?????

• 4 weeks later...

Archived