LegacyGT.com

Headgasket problems?

Are they common in these cars? I've checked three out lately and they've all had a blown headgasket. Mileage was high on all three (approx 90K) but I thought the headgasket thing was more common with N/A Subies.

Is it worth buying at a discount (due to HG failure) if I can get the heads redone by someone reputable?

It seems weird that the first three I've given a serious look to have had HG failure. I'm guessing above average abuse would be the cause of this on 4th gen? It seems like it is getting harder and harder to find this era of LGT in decent shape in my area.

The guy who works on my STi quoted me approx $900 to do the work (including parts). To clarify, the dealer is moving the car to their wholesale lot for me and letting me take care of the head gaskets myself so they are giving a major discount.

It may be a result of a timing flaw that Tuners have found in the OEM map. But most issues are with burnt valves.

It really is not that common for these engines to have HG problems.

If you decide to buy and do some of the work. Here's my recent thread. May give you look into what your in for.

Don't mean to scare you, but these car are fun when they are cared for. I pulled mine because it used oil, but some of that is my fault.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-some-new-stuff-engine-r-r-184106p6.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived