LegacyGT.com

Separating Engine from Tranny on 08 Spec-B

Max Q

What's the trick? I've got all 10 bolts/nuts off the housing and I've been pounding for a while and can't seem to get it to budge. Is there something special about the 6mt in the Spec-B's?

It's probably hung up on the two dowels that help line up the engine and trans. There is one on each side of the engine. I've use a cold chisel to help separate the engine/trans before. It may cause a little damage to the aluminum, but nothing that you can clean up with a file afterwards.

Good luck!!

Never fails. After 3 hours of nothing, I post a question on the forum, return to car, and finally get it to work. Happens every time! I think I just needed an internet break. :D

Edit: Nevermind. See below...

Actually I lied. I can't get the engine to completely separate and I just read that I have to remove the fork. How in the heck does one do that? Anybody want to chime in?

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, had to remove the large hex screw, pin, and pull the clutch fork out of the release bearing. I think I managed to bend the fork before I realized all this. I'm going to take a look at it tonight.

You can actually separate the TOB from the pressure plate with a long flathead screwdriver without pulling the pin out.

I notice you installed an sti flywheel with your clutch. did you compare the stock flywheel to the sti one?

Are you guy's talking about this on page 3222 of the 2009 manual ?

12) Remove the clutch release shaft.

(1) Remove the plug using a hexagon wrench.

(2) Attach a 6 mm (0.24 in) bolt to the release

shaft, and pull out the release shaft.

(3) Lift the release fork, and remove from the

claw of the release bearing. Pull the release

fork to the engine side, and make it so that it

moves freely.

13) Lift up the vehicle.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yep. Got to that point with mine and had nothing big enough to remove the plug. Luckily Harbor Freight had something that worked out. Spent about an hour trying to figure out what was holding it together before finding those above instructions somewhere!

Archived