LegacyGT.com

Looking at 05 lgt wagon w/ auto

jjtjp

So I've been looking for a GT wagon for quite some time now with auto trader sending me search results within 300 miles. Finally one that catches my eye and w/in my price range has appeared and I was about to make the leap but wanted to read up on what was common to fail around 100k miles. While looking into it I found this thread and the number of responses makes me worry a bit. I plan on doing a leak down test before the purchase of course but I still have a couple questions. One, what is the average price for the leak down test? And two, how many people are realistically experiencing problems that require new heads/motors? I can do a lot the work myself but would prefer not to. I am about to quit my job to go back to school so buying something that will only need maintenance and minimal repairs is kind of the plan for now. I was drawn to Subarus for their reliability. Did I perceive incorrectly? Thanks in advance for any responses/answers :) I hope to join the ranks of the LGT owners soon.

I'll let someone more experienced chime in for the most part. Subaru NA cars are very reliable from what I have seen. Their turbo cars might not be as reliable because people beat the crap out of them.

You will think that everything that can possibly break will break if you go by the posts on this forum

My opinion is if you won't have an income and need a car, buy yourself a Honda or something along those lines... Or a vehicle that is not somewhat performance oriented that someone beat on before you.

The car is only as reliable as it's previous owners. If they changed the oil regularly and kept up with general maintenance, the car should be fine.

FWIW, I've been autoxing my car for 3+ years, on my 3rd clutch (my own doing), 97k miles and the car is running great!

• 4 weeks later...
Just to update this, I ended up buying it. It was only a few miles from where my parents live so I had my father go look at it and test drive it. I got a (in my opinion) great deal on a super clean car. Everything seemed mechanically excellent and the motor pulled hard and transmission shifted as it should. I won't be able to physically see the car myself for a couple weeks when I drive up to get it, but I'm pumped. I hope to be an active member of this board once I get it though I suspect most of it will be asking questions until I learn the car for myself. Thanks for all the info so far that you all have given me!

Archived