LegacyGT.com

A/C Compressor Oil

So I've searched but couldn't find an answer to my question. I'm swapping A/C compressors on my 06 2.5i, and its the same compressor as a GT. (I have 2 EJ255 in my garage for my 05 GT project, so I took one of the good compressors). Everything I've read, including the stickers on the compressor and the car say to use "ND-8" oil. I'm assuming the "ND" stands for Nippon Denso, as I've worked in parts for many years. I have PAG oil, but different viscosity's available at work, Low, Medium, and High. Since the compressor as been open for around 6 months, I figured I'd change the oil and vacuum the system and do the job right. My only question is which PAG oil should I use? I've read conflicting info online about whether the "ND-8" is PAG oil or it is something specific.

May be you could call a local repair shop and ask them.

This kind of question dosen't come up that often around here.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The manual says the following about refrigerant and compressor oil:

"Standard air conditioners on Subaru vehicles use HFC134a refrigerant. Do not mix it with other refrigerants. Also, do not use any compressor oil other than DENSO OIL 8".

Compressor model: Denso SCSA08C

Thanks for the responses guys. That was my dilemma tho, I read to only use ND-8, and some other websites say I can use PAG-46. I just figured I'd ask the experts on our cars before I went and toasted this compressor.

Also just kinda curious cuz I can't remember seeing any threads on it, is it common for the compressor to go in these cars? I've read the ones about the ac acting funny in the 2.5i but when mine was blowin warm, I hooked up a can to charge it and when the compressor would cycle, instead of the pressure dropping it would spike, the guys I talked to about it said the compressor was shot because it was forcing the high pressure through the low pressure lines.

Archived