LegacyGT.com

input seal?

So I have a 97 legacy L 2.2 5 speed. I dive 170 miles a day for work. It had 260,000 miles drives pretty good. Lately I have been leaking between 1 and 2 quarts pker day or gear oil coming from the input shaft, rear main area. I have 2 days to fix this. I did motor stuff while it was out. Oil pan, intake, valve covers. Don't want to put it back together until I figure this out. Suggestions? Maybe a thread showing how its done.

I don't understand. Are you leaking 1 to 2 quarts engine oil, or gear oil? If it is engine oil and coming from your rear main seal area maybe your rear main seal is bad, or more likely your oil separator plate is bad.

You said you did motor stuff while it was out. Do you mean your engine is pulled out of the bay on a stand?

• I Donated
I had the same problem on my 5 speed. You're better off just replacing the transmission. You have to completely take apart the trans to even get to the input shaft seal.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

It's gear oil based on the only fluid level changing is the trans fluid. It looks like I can split the case but I would prefer reading about it before attempting. Like I said I need this car work. Motor is out of the car completely yes. I'm trying to do this on the cheap I have no money after fixing other stuff

• I Donated

You have to take the transmission out of the car.

You will spend $100 +/- on parts and supplies.

I bought a used transmission for $90

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

You have to realize. Brokin lives somewhere where he gets damn cheap parts that make no sense to any of us. Maybe it's where he lives? No one cares?

He gets free suspension parts.

• I Donated
You have to take the transmission out of the car.

You will spend $100 +/- on parts and supplies.

I bought a used transmission for $90

Let me clarify this. The parts/supplies included bearings, seals, fuji bond red, and various other things that i was going to replace while i was in there.

It was cheaper/easier for me just to replace the transmission

You have to realize. Brokin lives somewhere where he gets damn cheap parts that make no sense to any of us. Maybe it's where he lives? No one cares?

He gets free suspension parts.

I have got lots of free stuff.

I got my rear diff for $40.

I get cheap parts. I know peoples

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

I like you. But damn sometimes the things you say drive me up the wall. Always telling people the deals you got. 99% of us will not get the pricing you do. So you need to be more realistic on certain things. However this is not the thread to discuss this. Of course I am coming off like a jerk but I am just saying gotta be realistic for us "normal" people ;)

Tearing apart a 5MT is EASY. However....It's removing it that is a pain in the ass. If you can get a GOOD deal on a decent trans by all means get it!

I like you. But damn sometimes the things you say drive me up the wall. Always telling people the deals you got. 99% of us will not get the pricing you do. So you need to be more realistic on certain things. However this is not the thread to discuss this. Of course I am coming off like a jerk but I am just saying gotta be realistic for us "normal" people ;)

Tearing apart a 5MT is EASY. However....It's removing it that is a pain in the ass. If you can get a GOOD deal on a decent trans by all means get it!

If its so easy why can't I find anything on this trans. Everyone just says swap it. If its that easy why doesn't anyone rebuild it

• I Donated

I bought my transmission from a junkyard. My trans was just a result of shopping around.

Trans is super easy to pull. I can pull them in less than an hour....but my first time doing it, it took a few hours

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Going price I've found is 600 800and some crazy guy selling the drivetrain from an sti for 1200. Still looking around. I threw the motor in hoping I can get it fixed

Replacing the whole trans because of a leak is ridiculous. It is actually pretty easy to fix, just time consuming. take off the shifter linkage, pull the tailhousing off, pull the center diff housing off, undo all the bolts, split the case apart, replace seal, clean surfaces, apply fujibond, installation is the reverse of removal. There are no little pieces that are going to go flying when you take things apart, the only thing your really have to do is make sure the gear selector is in place when it goes together.

$1200 for the drivetrain from the STi might not be too ridiculous if you are really looking to upgrade and it is in really, really nice shape. Way more than you need for your setup though. I'm been poking around on ebay looking for an STi tranny and they can be very expensive. But yeah, that's a lot of money.

Archived