LegacyGT.com

Spec B Wheels on Regular Legacy GT

blue2.5gt

@catalyst, thanks for the response

ya unfortunately i looked on the hankook website and they said the ventus v12 225/40r18 was recommended to run on a minimum of 7.5 inch wheel width so i went with the 215/40r18. if i were to have just gone with the 215/45r18 would there have been a big performance difference? i know the speedo would have been more off but i could have lived with that, the car is a stock 5eat (just spt intake) so although i enjoy the performance i could take the hit. also would lowering the car help?

I ran the 225/40R18 on mine, and it was a good performing setup (despite some manufacturers saying you need 1/2" more wheel width).

Going with the 215/45R18 would have had a bit more sidewall flex (read more comfort but slightly less cornering performance), and that's what the spec.B came with stock in 05 and 06.

You should be fine with your setup as it's close to within 3% variance, your speedo will read slightly high. From online size calculator:

When speedometer reads 60mph (96.6km/h) actual speed will be 58mph (93.4km/h): 3.3% slower.

If you lower it a bit it will eliminate some of the wheel gap. The spec.B wheels look great on your ride!

Also research that SPT intake. Should really have a tune done if it's on there, or replace with the stock setup. It's well known to cause some issues (just search SPT Intake here).

@catalyst, thanks for the info!

i bought the tires from town fair tire and they have a 30 day test drive where you can purchase a different set of tires if you aren't happy if you pay the difference in tire price. i think i am going to go with the stock spec b wheel size tires 215/45r18. even a couple of my friends who really don't know cars said that the tires looked small, and i think they don't look right either. in addition, do summer tires have a different look than all seasons? i feel like summer tires are more round but all seasons have more of an edge? is that true?

Depending on your priorities, if you are replacing/trading in those tires for another size I'd highly recommend considering the 225/40R18 option on those wheels. It's really close to the same outer diameter of the 215/45R18 and is a much better performance option. If ride comfort outweighs cornering ability then stick with the OEM option. If you ever like some spirited sessions in the twisties - go with the 225/40R18. It's a nice squared setup and will give you a nice shoulder even with a high performance summer tire as well as a little curb protection. Despite what TireRack told you about recommended width - I assure you from experience that size works well. I also ran some winter specific tires with an aggressive tread pattern on these wheels in that same 225/40R18 size.

In regards to the shoulder of the tire questions, that really depends most on the design of the tire. I've seen the "edge" you refer to in both summer and all seasons. The amount of stretch plays into this but most of it is the tread pattern. Many all seasons have a pretty rounded shoulder as well. The Continental ExtremeContact DWS and BFGoodrich KDW2 both have a pretty aggressive shoulder. I went with the Hankook EVO V12 option on my 17s and really like the results at a pretty good price point. If price isn't an issue - you cannot go wrong with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports for a great balance of performance, comfort, and lifespan.

• 5 months later...

I've run 225/40 on my '06 Spec B for the last 4-5 years (been through about 3-4 different brand/model of tires). Fit and handling are fine and for some reason (probably an OE size for someone) the 225/40's are always cheaper than the 215/45's anyway.

I think my speedo is slightly slower, compared to a GPS speedo on my phone or those Your Speed Is signs around construction areas but maybe 1-2 mph.

Archived