LegacyGT.com

Oil Cooler Gasket?

Didnt see a write up on this forum. Subaruoutback.org has one. It says to drain coolant and oil to change out gasket. By looking at it does it really need too. I was thinking of clamping the coolant hose and plugging the oil hose. Take filter off and going from there. Or can I just loosen the pump and drop it down with hoses on to replace gasket. If I have to I have to but just being cheap on the fluids. Thanks

The oil will drain. No way around that. You can clamp the coolant hoses, might not be easy. The oil cooler has a center hollow bolt that holds it to the block, there is no hose to clamp for oil. Just drain it.

You'll need a 24mm deep socket to remove the oil cooler to replace the fat orange o-ring.

You will need to drain the coolant, the hoses are pretty short elbow pieces on either side ofthe cooler.

I just rebuilt my engine much the same as bmx045 has done, so we have a good idea on what it takes.

If you drain the coolant, just pick a bottle of anti freeze, I filled mine with some Peak, some Prestone and topped it off with Peak Global. I had the older two bottles that I mixed 50/50 with water left over from other jobs.

As long as your down there you may want to check out the coolant crossover tube that feeds the oil cooler, I replaced mine because it was pretty rusty. One other guy here a few years back had his rust thru.

I also replaced the 3 elbow hoses, they are all the same part number.

I have pictures in my thread, post #45

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-some-new-stuff-engine-r-r-184106p2.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived