LegacyGT.com

Overheating

Lately my car has been overheating... at least I think so. The gauge doesn't read anything abnormal, but after 30 mins of continuous driving, I notice a faint smoke coming from the hood. It smells as if something is burning. The car has about 75,xxx mi and the coolant level is full. I am completely lost. I was thinking maybe a thermostat or the "bubble" problem, but any insight would be great.

Thanks

leaking valve cover gasket dripping on exhaust manifold

I'm guessing this is the correct guess.

Can someone close to this guy, recommend a good shop for him to take it too so they can tell him whats worng.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm guessing this is the correct guess.

Can someone close to this guy, recommend a good shop for him to take it too so they can tell him whats wrong.

Or a hose clamp/hose leaking from the turbo install. Probably re-used hoses and cheap OEM spring clamps.

On my '05 Outback XT with 106k miles, oil is leaking from my timing belt cover (presumably from cam shaft and/or crank shaft seals). It drips onto the exhaust heat shield, which produces symptoms similar to what you're describing. I plan to fix mine this summer. If oil is leaking from your timing belt cover, you will not only need to replace all seals that are leaking, but you will need to replace your timing belt (oil degrades rubber).

On a related side-note: Since you have a 5EAT, you may want to consider a light-weight crank pulley while you're in there (if you do your own repair work). I plan to add the light-weight pulley to mine and go catless at the same time. My spool time should be greatly decreased. I'm kind of excited, since it will be my first power mod besides an open-source tune. :D

Archived