LegacyGT.com

Coolant help, Rad cold, temp okay ?

Hey guys !

so its a 97 legacy outback, 2.5 l, and motor with 247 000 k, last year before i had parked it for the winter it had over heated a bit once, seamed like it over flowed out the container, i added some fluid in the rad and it kept going for a day till i parked it,

I pulled it out last week, drove it till it was operating temp, and i had bubbles comming up in the over flow, so i bought a rad cap and figured there might be an air bubble in the system or the coolant is gone bad and the coolant started boiling, and creating the bubbles.

So i took the car home, it was allways under half on the gauge for temp, it did'nt over flow in the tank, but the level raised about 3 inches, i got home and check the rad, and its cold, the fans had kicked in, and the temp is still at the half mark, the two hoses were hot and full of pressure, now if the rad plugged possibly ? or my water pump gone ? or the thermostat has been changed to aftermarket, which I've heard is problematic. there is also a slight smell of antifreeze, not sure if its collant leaking, because i cant see any, but also durring the winter when i fired it up there was steam comming up by the rad, twice on different occasions, I though it could of been snow or something, because it didn't smell like coolant to much,

any suggestions ? thank you

you think ?

in the fall last year i tested for compression and got 150-1560 in all cylinders when the motor was warm, but by the time you get to the 4th one its cooled a bit,

now i just went an checked, the bottle was still full and the rad had no visible coolant in it, i see a wet spot under the car, so im going to put it up on stand a check it out further,

since the car has 247 000 k the head gaskets are probably done by now, and should be okay, no ?, and i think i found a leak on the bottom corner of the rad, its quite rusted,

were can i do a hydrocarbon test ? part source stores ?, buy the tabs or something ?

yupp they are, I looked into it a bunch today and tonight, coolant is disapearing, not leaking, theres a bit of brown/beige floating in the bottle, and lots of little bubbles in the rad constantly,

and also to top it off, i have a leaking gas tank after filling it today, can you even change it ? looks like you have to drop the rear end

now to find quotes to get the motor done, I don't I have the time to change it, nor want to deal with it, sure id be able to do it, done one on a saturn before, but i didn't have to pull the engine lol

cheers

Yup mine went at 206. Its not rare. Were just used to the 150-180 number. Cars are getting older and the strong ones are starting to come out a play with your wallet.

I used felpro gaskets for my car. So far so good after 300 miles.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using TapaTalk 2

okay i see, but it does look like it had aftermarket head gaskets since the gasket on the intake sticks out and also theres tabs that stick out from the head gasket under the car, so if i change them i would have to get the heads checked in case there warped since they might have gone through their second gaskets

Archived