LegacyGT.com

Replaced trans, reassembled car, but NO start

We just finished our trans replacement job. Tried to start, but there is nothing, nada from the starter.

We are sure the battery is OK -freshly recharged (12.5 volts). Cleaned the battery contacts, too.

When I put the key in the ignition and turn I get the air bag and ABS lights but no others -- that seems strange to me. Then I turn the key further to activate starter and there is nothing from the starter. How should I go about troubleshooting? We did not rush the reassembly, we thought we did a careful job.

In a related vein, I am trying to ensure that the crankshaft bolt is properly torqued. With the key in the ignition it is possible to move the shifter to Drive. However, when I try to torque the crankshaft bolt, the crankshaft just spins. It's as though the engine is not engaged with the transmission, or the transmission is not engaging ...

Thanks,

Rob

In retrospect think we may have made a boo-boo or 2. There was a loose flat-headed connector we could not identify. Having searched this forum I came upon a picture of the starter and its connections. I suspect this connector may be the ground for the starter. I'll know for sure next weekend when I get back to this job. Easy to miss if you've just had so much stuff off the car. Still, sorry to cry wolf unnecessarily ...

There were 2 grounds that we overlooked. There is the main ground from the battery connected by a bracket to the top bolt of the starter, then the starter ground. Jeez -- maybe we weren't so careful after all.

Anyway, now the engine starts but the car won't move. I'm guessing the transmission may need some ATF ...

Yes, the TC was seated properly, I'm sure. I spent two weekends fiddling with it gently, replacing the seals, the split ring, the metal ring-clip and practicing seating the thing. I thought it was a really anal effort. Made sure it stayed in position while we hoisted and shoved the trans into place.

The problem on the no start was grounding. Not only the little flat clip on the rear of the starter, but we also left the main ground from the battery hanging loose! That's the trouble with doing work on a car which isn't yours and with which you're not familiar (groping for excuses for that bone-headed mistake there).

Another tricky thing is estimating how much oil is in the trans. The engine has to be running -- but then it's tough to read the dipstick. At first I checked the level with the engine off and it looked fine. Started, tried to move it, but nothing doing. At first I thought the trans was a dud. Then, a flash of inspiration saw me drain the trans sump (1.75 quarts -- actually quite clean fluid) -- then put in close to 8 quarts ATF in 1/2 quart installments, moving the shifter through all positions after each addition. Then the car moved. Drove it round the block and called it a day with a celebratory Guinness.

There are quite a few loose ends to tie up, and the thing needs to be test driven a while, but confidence that this car can be pressed back into service is growing. Input from the folks on this forum has been a key part of the conservation effort. Thanks Very Much to All ...

Archived