LegacyGT.com

Black wheel advice

riceprotein

I'm looking to add some black wheels to my graphite gray 2012 Legacy 2.5i Premium, but I'm a noob when it comes to tires/wheels. Did a quick search on Tirerack, can anyone offer some guidance on what would be good buys/what do look for?

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/results.jsp?&autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Legacy+Sedan&autoYear=2012&autoModClar=2.5i+Premium&filterFinish=Black&filterSize=All&filterBrand=All&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Brand

If you're on a budget and just dd the car then something cheaper like rotas are fine IMO. If you're going to be racing or really pushing the wheel, I'd get something higher end.

The hate for rotas, and most cheaper wheels, is just blown way out of proportion. If it's a dd that is not pushed hard, esp a n/a car, they are not going to fail. However, I wouldn't throw a set of rcomps on rotas and drive them on the track on a car with a lot of power and a suspension set up with heavy rates. I'm not saying they would fail in that situation either, but personally I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it.

That being said, a cast set of enkei's is probably the best bang-for-the-buck quality wheel out there IMO.

It's a decent read. I don't think OP is going to be throwing his NA whale around the track, so Rotas should be just fine for him. If it's a 1000hp race car, maybe you can go with more expensive and forged wheels. If your car will never see the track or even over 90mph on a highway, I see no reason why you have to piss on Rotas.

Yea, I'm definitely not going to be racing my car. I'll take a look at the Rotas, but it seems, from reading the different forums, that Enkei are popular. I'm looking to spend around $1500, I saved some money on my car purchase by not getting a moonroof ($1,000) and was able to negotiate a pretty fair purchase price ($21,800), which is how I'm justifying my black rims purchase. :)

The hate for rotas, and most cheaper wheels, is just blown way out of proportion. If it's a dd that is not pushed hard, esp a n/a car, they are not going to fail. However, I wouldn't throw a set of rcomps on rotas and drive them on the track on a car with a lot of power and a suspension set up with heavy rates. I'm not saying they would fail in that situation either, but personally I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it.

That being said, a cast set of enkei's is probably the best bang-for-the-buck quality wheel out there IMO.

It's not so much that I hate Rota's. It's just for a few hundred more you can get good bang-for-buck wheels, like the aforementioned Enkei's, and OZ's.

Wow those look great!

BTW, how much did it cost to install them?

I have a friend at a tire shop so it didn't cost me anything, but I think its usually about $100.

Fat people are hard to kidnap!!!

That article has been out there for a while

and it's one of the most retarded article ever

it's more about stealing the design than the quality of the wheels

not say rota has good quality to start with...

So all the cars listed in the article do not use Rotas? I did not write the article, not do I think cast is better then forged. If you have the money, by all means go with name brand, forged, three piece wheels. If you are just going for looks in a 5th gen that will never ever see track time, I think Rotas will be just fine.

Archived