LegacyGT.com

Rust issue

Danhall51

So yesterday I was planning on doing the hogzaust mod out of boredom and curiosity, but as soon as I looked under the car Ive noticed very bad rust where the mufflers attatch to the Y-pipe. it got rusted into 1 piece basically and every bolt is covers pretty badly. I was wondering whats my options. if theres a way to clean the rust out, just leave the exhaust and hope nothing snaps, or upgrade to a full exhaust system. My car is a 2005 2.5i with 110,000 miles on it BTW.

Mine's completely rusted from the flanges and starting to chip away. Hence why i have exhaust leak(s)

Really nothing to do at this point if it's so badly rusted. New exhaust system!

I have no control over drippie.

Spray them with PB Blaster. Worst case the bolts break, just buy some 3/8 nut's and bolts and washers from any hardware store and use them.

That's basically what I did.

In fact my 09 Spec B has no mufflers.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

PB blaster and heat. If that doesn't work, take a sawzal to the nuts and cut them off flush with the flange. Then get new nuts/bolts. Had to do that with the flange behind the cats and get new spring bolts last week on mine.

ya but i think he means, the flanges are flaky and will prob disintegrate when he pulls the cans off..id save up for an X02/CXL unit instead. or get some aftermarket exhaust cans.

• I Donated

Welcome to the Rust Belt. I ended up scoring an almost-brand-new stock exhaust on here for $100 and putting that on, and yes, I had to grind the bolts off. My car spent its first 6 years in NH, and the flanges were so badly rusted that after I cleaned them off, if I had tried to put them back together, there would have been a 2-3mm gap in places. I guess that's basically what Hogzawst does anyway, though, so maybe you want it?

BTW, to guard against bolts rusting up, apply anti-seize liberally before re-assembling. It won't completely prevent it, but the exhaust will come off more easily the next time you want it to. I've been putting anti-seize on every bolt on the suspension, brakes, and exhaust that I take out, and it has helped a lot.

i wouldnt touch it unless its leaking or u get a after market CBE. then u will get your rumble on.

I agree. My stock exhaust is basically fused together and ready to turn to dust, lol. Just sucked it up and bought new up down, and cbe. I suggest the same.

PB blaster and heat. If that doesn't work, take a sawzal to the nuts and cut them off flush with the flange. Then get new nuts/bolts. Had to do that with the flange behind the cats and get new spring bolts last week on mine.

You can get a electric cut off wheel if you don't have sawzal.

BTW, to guard against bolts rusting up, apply anti-seize liberally before re-assembling. It won't completely prevent it, but the exhaust will come off more easily the next time you want it to. I've been putting anti-seize on every bolt on the suspension, brakes, and exhaust that I take out, and it has helped a lot.

Hey, that's my line...I even do the lug nuts.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

FWIW, here's mine on my wagon.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4150.jpg

Here it is with no mufflers

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4159.jpg

Here's both cars, the Spec now has the muffler deletes on it.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4595.jpg

• I Donated
Hey, that's my line...I even do the lug nuts.

Not the greatest idea -- anti-seize screws with the torque specs. It's not even necessary unless you have open-ended lugs, because the lugs protect against rust.

Not the greatest idea -- anti-seize screws with the torque specs. It's not even necessary unless you have open-ended lugs, because the lugs protect against rust.

I began doing the lug nuts after my 00 Legacy GT wagon had a issue with some of the threads on the hubs.

I've using anti-sieze on all the lug nuts on every car I work on since. I torque all the lug nuts to 80ftlbs on every car or truck. Even the Ti lug nuts on the race car. Never had a problem again.

• I Donated
I began doing the lug nuts after my 00 Legacy GT wagon had a issue with some of the threads on the hubs.

I've using anti-sieze on all the lug nuts on every car I work on since. I torque all the lug nuts to 80ftlbs on every car or truck. Even the Ti lug nuts on the race car. Never had a problem again.

Interesting discussion n anti-seize on lug studs (especially post 5):

http://www.engineersedge.com/wwwboard/posts/13070.html

On the threads is fine; on the seats is not.

Good find, Thanks.

We do a lot of torquing here at work, upwards of 600ftlbs. All the fasteners get so type of lube. Mostly we use a Moly-coat paste.

We also coat the threads and the bearing surface of the nut, bolts and washers.

We build items for the US Navy Sub's and NASA Space Station.

Archived