LegacyGT.com

Finally Doing the Staged Install

praedet

All right, so I have finally assembled the components to do the 2nd step of my audio install. The first step was a kenwood dnx8120 in the dash.

Step 2:

1. Deaden/soundproof doors and wheel wells

2. Wire for amps and speakers

3. Create the mounting location for the amps/dist block/crossovers

4. Install front speakers

What is going in:

-RaamMat BXT II

-PS Ensolite

-Alpine PDX 4.150 (powering the fronts)

-Alpine PDX 1.1000 (powering the subs, probably not installed yet, but everything ready for it

- Polk Audio SR5250

- Patrick's Spacers

- JL 2 Gauge 2 Amp Wiring kit

- 14 Gauge speaker wire

So, the plan is to completely deaden/soundproof the front doors and run the speaker wires first. Hopefully I can knock that out in a few 2 hour windows. Then I will fabricate the mount for the amps, crossovers, and dist. Block. Run the wiring for the amps. Lastly install the speakers and tune.

Step 3 will be:

Homemade fiberglass sub box, or a JL Audio StealthBox depending on my time/laziness. I also might do a JBL MS-8 in the end.

So, with the speakers I am using I can install them coaxially, or separate. Anyone got any thoughts on that? The ring radiator is a very nice mellow tweeter, but sounds best on axis…

Ted

:spin:

^^^I will be active, when I get the MS-8 ;)

Basically I am going to run passive (biamped) for a few months and then install the MS-8 when I have the time.

There are a few reasons for this.

First: I don't have an MS-8 yet

Second: I haven't figured out where it will go for sure yet

Third: I want to see how the system sounds passive

Fourth: I will have to figure out a better location for the tweeters once I go active.

I think that about covers it.

;)

This will probably be the last work I get to do for a week as my daughter is having surgery a little ways away.

Ted

Ok I see your point about the MS8 location. Mine is located under my drivers seat, with my screen in my center console. I am not against running passive with great sound deadening, I just prefer to have more fluid control. I am sure no matter what way you run, you will enjoy the sounds.
2010 2.5GT limited is for sale. :)

• 2 weeks later...

So, the amp rack is finished, and would be entirely assembled, but some of the parts in the wiring kit were jacked, so I am waiting on a new kit. I have damped and ensolited half of each front door, just trying out the ease of putting the door off and on ;) I will finish when I run the wires and mount the speakers.

I am also trying out some cool disconnects that get great reviews, but come from the RC world. So, I have made the double wire runs and created the hook-ins for the x-overs...

393252229_FinishedRack1.thumb.jpg.05d6910a192aa662132e71d3e5162293.jpg

925531851_FinishedRack2.thumb.jpg.c266abd61c00dd64ae1079df41687cf5.jpg

1425266693_Speaker1.thumb.jpg.945d8d8cc8e28efe42b6048c3a0985b4.jpg

85278214_Speaker2.thumb.jpg.67768faa81643ec6e477244693b8248d.jpg

1341597040_XoverConnector.thumb.jpg.9dfb6ab205551227523d422dd18e67bf.jpg

1491996330_SpeakerWire.thumb.jpg.943e6c144b0573f6d40ae656420ae18d.jpg

Hey cool idea with the Deans connectors. I use those on all of my RC stuff.:lol: Did you make solder connections on the speakers?

Looking good. On the tweeters- I usually prefer to keep the components together in a coaxial configuration. I guess it depends on the vehicle though.

I hope you have better luck with those Polk's than I did. Mine were DOA right out of the box. One dead tweeter and one dead X-over. I was pissed and ended up using JL components. The polks would have sounded nice had they worked.

Hey cool idea with the Deans connectors. I use those on all of my RC stuff.:lol: Did you make solder connections on the speakers?

Looking good. On the tweeters- I usually prefer to keep the components together in a coaxial configuration. I guess it depends on the vehicle though.

I hope you have better luck with those Polk's than I did. Mine were DOA right out of the box. One dead tweeter and one dead X-over. I was pissed and ended up using JL components. The polks would have sounded nice had they worked.

Thanks! Yeah, I did all the soldering for everything with lots of shrink wrap for strain relief once I tested the connection.

Hope mine aren't DOA! I better test them before install...

your lucky you have a wagon (space) check out bings wagon install) tons of stuff to get ideas from. (he did two installs in his wagon)
Yeah, I have been bouncing stuff off him so far. He is mad because I am bi-amping but waiting to go active ;)

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the blurry pics, you'd think I was drunk! All right, here is what has been working VERY well for about 4 weeks...

The speaker cable for the stealth box is temporary for 3 reasons.

1. I am making a larger gauge/better cable.

2. The stealthbox is being replaced by JL for cosmetic reasons

3. I want to install damping material behind the sub and haven't done it yet

Overall, the system sounds great with the headunit doing TA duties running passive x-overs biamped with the speakers set-up as coax. I did route the power cables to the rear of the car, and all speaker/RCAs to the front, so I do not have any noise issues to date (knock on wood)

I am impressed with the sound from the single 10W6, but the PDX amp get VERY hot running it. I don't know if I should get the newer PDX that is slightly smaller, runs cooler, and has more power. Or, I could make a fan system, but that is a lot of work...

IMAG0249.thumb.jpg.5ab7a336c420f07fb51fb1339abfdf49.jpg

IMAG0248.thumb.jpg.43d6b366254551020e2ef61f0f157156.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

All right, so an update to those that look at this in the future. So, with putting the 2 PDXs in that small of an area, under the floor with a rubber cover on top and a 90 lb dog in hot summer weather, the amps (especially the sub amp) would get pretty hot after about 2 or so hours. Nothing bad seemed to be happening, but I was concerned...

So, I installed two of these feeding from the front compartment and blowing over the amps, and two of these blowing the air off the amps and out the back, along with a spacer that raises the floor about a half inch so the air goes out. So far it works great. I am running the fans off the 12 volts that goes to the towing harness with a relay that turns them on when the HU turns on the amps...

Little to no noticeable noise even when the music is not playing...

I also installed the new Stealthbox, a better speaker wire, and a 160 amp alternator...

Archived