LegacyGT.com

Just bought an 05 GT - several questions on turbo, 5EAT, uppipe, etc

angler82

So I've been spending a ton of time reading through various threads on the forum and there were a few questions I couldn't find decent answers for.

1.) After you check out the banjo bolt should you replace it or just clean it? I believe I read that there is a new version of the mesh screen available from Subaru (or at least it has a different part number). Is an older filter at greater risk of getting clogged?

2.) Should you replace your catted uppipe with a catless one even if you don't plan on doing a tune (stage 1 or stage 2)? I believe I read that even at stock there is a chance that debris from a cat could be sucked into your turbo.

3.) If you just changed to a catless uppipe and you kept the stock turboback, would it require a tune?

4.) Does the 5EAT require a valve body modification if you go stage 2? Would 5EAT longevity be severely impacted by a stage 2 setup and no VB upgrade?

5.) Other than quality synthetic oil, a good OCI, banjo bolt check ups/removal, etc (all found in the turbo wiki), are there any other recommendations for prolonging the life of a stock VF40 turbo?

6.) Would you advocate purchasing a used VF40 or another bolt on turbo (if a VF40 is unavailable) with gaskets, etc in order to have a back up turbo in the case of failure?

1. It's your choice. After 108k miles, mine was fairly clean, so I just cleaned it up and put it back in.

2. If you don't plan on tuning your car, no need to gut your UP.

3. It's fine to run a gutted UP without a tune.

4. -

5. Routine oil changes, check oil levels often, and maintain proper coolant.

6. Stock VF40 or BNR 16

My wife's balls are delicious.

+1 to all the above.

4. No, you do not NEED a VB mod for stage 2. It is difficult to say about longevity, as people have mixed results. It really depends mostly on how you drive it. The F1VB is worth it, IMO, for a 5eat at any mod level, for someone who enjoys aggressive spirited driving.

I have both banjo filters removed from my engine. The one on the front of the drivers head, removed it when the head were rebuilt. The machine shop showed me they cleaned it. I said thanks but throw that filter in the trash. I had the one on the back of the pasenger side head removed when I got the cel P0011 and P0022. The turbo went a 1000 miles later.

Take that filter out and throw it away. Do regular oil & filter changes and you'll be fine.

Learn to check the oil every few day's until you learn how much it uses.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

For the up-pipe, I only have experience with my old 02 WRX - on the 2.0L engine which was in the WRX, it made a very noticeable difference in spoolup for the turbo. I haven't driven a 2.5L with a catted up-pipe vs. one without, so maybe the increased displacement makes it less necessary. That being said, I'd go ahead and swap it out (it also reduces underhood temps by removing the pre-cat in the up-pipe, as well as helping spoolup)

• 2 weeks later...

Appreciate everyone's feedback. For now I'm going to stay stock. Stage 1 if I find a cheap AP on CL or the forum.

In the meantime I bought a used VF40 on here as a backup turbo in case my current one shits itself.

I have both banjo filters removed from my engine. The one on the front of the drivers head, removed it when the head were rebuilt. The machine shop showed me they cleaned it. I said thanks but throw that filter in the trash. I had the one on the back of the pasenger side head removed when I got the cel P0011 and P0022. The turbo went a 1000 miles later.

Take that filter out and throw it away. Do regular oil & filter changes and you'll be fine.

Learn to check the oil every few day's until you learn how much it uses.

There are 2 banjo bolts? I thought there was only 1 in the oil feed line to the turbo...I replaced the oil feed line one (passenger side).

• I Donated Too
There are 2 banjo bolts? I thought there was only 1 in the oil feed line to the turbo...I replaced the oil feed line one (passenger side).

yup. you replaced the historically problematic one though.

The other one is behind the cam gear on the left head. It not easy to get to.

Did it while the heads were off at the machine shop.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived