LegacyGT.com

Subaru rumble sound

johnomaz

I am in no way a person that knows a lot (or even a little) about cars, but I do enjoy driving the hell out of them. I finally got a 2010 Subaru Legacy GT and am loving it. So SO much better than my old Ford Focus. Anywho, I want to get that Subaru rumble I so love hearing from other cars out of my car, but after reading around, I found that because of something called equal length headers, its not possible anymore, at least not for my car. I have seen people modifying parts on their car to get it, but that is so far beyond my abilities, its on another planet. fSo, are their parts I can buy that will result in that beautiful rumble and still be smog legal in California? If not, its not big deal, I still love my car, but will not be spending any money on an exhaust.

I wouldn't trade for EL though... I'd miss the sound. I don't care if its better for spool... with the equal length it sounds like an [insert any other import here]...

to each their own. I was also unaware of EL headers in new legacies.

Thanks for the replies. Right now, its bone stock and I don't want it to sound like every other import out there. I think I'll leave it as is. Everywhere I've read says it has ELH so I'm taking it as fact. It has to do with the new position of the turbo under the engine instead of on top and behind the engine. Oh well, rumble or not, its fun as hell to drive still.

Leave your car alone. Unequal length headers would hurt your car's performance, if you could even find a way to get them to work.

I put the Perrin ELH on my car about 2 months ago and personally I think it sounds a lot better than the "boxer rumble". It does not sound like a fart can Honda, it sounds very Evo-ish. Besides the nice bump in midrange power (even untuned), the engine runs a lot smoother.

I wasn't aware that Legacys had headers, period.

When I posted this, I was kidding. But where do you draw the line between an "exhaust manifold" and a "header"? Do newer LGTs really have tubular headers, or are we playing with semantics here?

When I posted this, I was kidding. But where do you draw the line between an "exhaust manifold" and a "header"? Do newer LGTs really have tubular headers, or are we playing with semantics here?

They are definitely factory EL headers. See this thread: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2010-lgt-engine-pics-turbo-manifold-tmic-112786.html

This helps even more. That is exactly what I didn't want my car to sound like...a fart can Honda. I've been working overtime this month and will have about 38 hours overtime and was thinking about getting a CBE. Any suggestings? Performance wise...well, that would always be nice. I do like to drive fast =P, but sound is the biggest thing for me right now. Any suggestions on what brand CBE to get and what price I should expect. I've seen most go for about $800 in auto shops. I've seen several for about $600 online and I was thinking of asking my brother-in-law to help me put it in myself as he is a car guy and knows how to do it. I have a small vinyl decal business on the side and would probably hook him up with some decals or something that I know hes been wanting.

^ No.

Just a cat back will get you some more sound with some minor performance gains. If you really want a power increase, you should do a downpipe as well. Sounds like you might just be happy with a cat-back and a stage 1 tune though. You can try that and see if you are happy with it and still go further if you like.

If you do end up going further on mods, it's cheaper to go directly to stage 2 (rather than doing it twice), but you also want to be realistic about what you want your car to be and what you want to do to it. I forget which user has the sig, "Stay stock, stay happy", but it's good advice. That said, if you really get caught by the bug, whatever you do may never be enough. Just ask one or two of the knuckleheads on here (self included).

I've got a Borla cat-back to go on with my downpipe (for an 05 5MT). It's a bit expensive. I think Magnaflows may also fit the 10+. Do a search on cat-back exhausts or go read a few threads in the Exhaust forum. You'll find what you're looking for. Welcome to LGT.com. Enjoy!

^ No.

Just a cat back will get you some more sound with some minor performance gains. If you really want a power increase, you should do a downpipe as well. Sounds like you might just be happy with a cat-back and a stage 1 tune though. You can try that and see if you are happy with it and still go further if you like.

If you do end up going further on mods, it's cheaper to go directly to stage 2 (rather than doing it twice), but you also want to be realistic about what you want your car to be and what you want to do to it. I forget which user has the sig, "Stay stock, stay happy", but it's good advice. That said, if you really get caught by the bug, whatever you do may never be enough. Just ask one or two of the knuckleheads on here (self included).

I've got a Borla cat-back to go on with my downpipe (for an 05 5MT). It's a bit expensive. I think Magnaflows may also fit the 10+. Do a search on cat-back exhausts or go read a few threads in the Exhaust forum. You'll find what you're looking for. Welcome to LGT.com. Enjoy!

Magnaflow and Borla are the only two names I know. I don't think I want to go to Stage 2. The cat back is mainly for the sound. I've been tempted about the State 1 as well. That is probably as far as I'd go with it. I don't want to buy a tuning kit, I'd probably go to a shop and get it flashed. There are a couple shops around 2hours from where I live. Wouldn't mind the drive either. Thanks guys. I'll look into both CBEs and the hogzawst.

[[EDIT]] Ahh, I see what the Hogzawst is. Just a mod of sorts to the stock stuff. I found a thread where the guy just cut off his mufflers and had a straight pipe out from the Y on his exhaust. Put the stock tips back on and that was it. I figure if I am considering a CBE, that cutting the mufflers off wouldn't really hurt anything as it may come off anyways. The rest was stock and sounded pretty decent.

Also keep in mind that once you go beyond stock power levels a lot more strain is placed upon the clutch.

If this is a concern, just get the catback and do suspension mods

I am aware of the clutch strain. I don't really launch from a dead stop or anything. I'm not a street racer either, I just enjoy driving a little too much. Shoot, theres a car seat and a booster seat in my backseat. I only get to have fun in my car when I'm alone. I will probably end up with a catback. I just have to mentally allow myself to spend the money.

...I'll give you sound!

http://s515.photobucket.com/albums/t356/crazyken711/?action=view&current=FORSALEHeavilyModified2005LegacyGTLtdMVI_2366flvvideobyMY05LEGACYGT-Photobucket.mp4

Seriously, easy cheap mod for under $5 is the "washer mod"! You will get the boxer rumble, stock look, takes less than 30 minutes to do and if you don't like it - you can always go back to stock just as easy!

2nd, find 2 short 2' resonator and replace you axleback cans!

3rd, this is what I did on the video clip above...straight pipe...and weld on whatever tip design you want. The sound is there, frees up some back pressure and makes everyone wonder that v8 engine sounds sweet..."Thanks...I know!"

CRAZY KEN

CrazyKen....did you cut off the resonator too or just the mufflers? I think I may try that before I get a CBE. That way if I don't like it, I can just get the CBE after. If I do like it, I can save myself some $$.

...can cutoff the resonator and slip on and weld a straight pipe. Then they can make a straight pipe axleback with what ever tip you want. labor should be around $100-$150...parts for tip can be $50-$100. So look to spend $150-$250!

Good luck and have fun,

CK

There aren't any unequal-length headers on the market which you could use to reduce the performance change the sound of your car. There aren't any performance EL headers either, and since the car comes with a nice tubular header as stock you shouldn't hold your breath waiting for one.

Before you go hack up your existing system, buy mufflers etc., why not do the washer mod suggested above to get an idea what it would sound like with an aftermarket exhaust before either doing work that's hard to undo, or spending money. Or you could just pull the mufflers off for a quick test. At least if you don't like the exhaust tone with the washers installed or mufflers off, you can go back to stock very easily.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

There aren't any unequal-length headers on the market which you could use to reduce the performance change the sound of your car. There aren't any performance EL headers either, and since the car comes with a nice tubular header as stock you shouldn't hold your breath waiting for one.

Before you go hack up your existing system, buy mufflers etc., why not do the washer mod suggested above to get an idea what it would sound like with an aftermarket exhaust before either doing work that's hard to undo, or spending money. Or you could just pull the mufflers off for a quick test. At least if you don't like the exhaust tone with the washers installed or mufflers off, you can go back to stock very easily.

ya, I was going to unbolt the mufflers at the flange (<-- right word?) and see how it sounds. If i don't like it, I'll bolt them back on. But ya, I'm not going to just start cutting and see what happens.

Archived