LegacyGT.com

Time for our first crossover

Got our first kid on the way, so it's time to ditch the wife's Mini S and replace it with a crossover.

This time around, this being a family car the most important things are hauling capacity, mileage and reliability. AWD is a must, NO forced-induction.

We gotta buy something by around August, September at the latest.

We do have some other rides to check out but so far we narrowed it down to a 2011+ Kia Sportage and a 2011+ Forester. Kind of a tough choice so hopefully a test drive will make it more obvious.

We checked out the Outback too since it's a nicer car overall but the size was intimidating for my wife plus 6K extra for things we're not looking for so that was a short argument :lol:

Definitely like the styling of the Kia better.

Forester has better visibility all around and a bit more space.

What I don't get is even though the mpg advantage of the Sportage is not that big as far as EPA figures go, from what I have read on the Kia boards, real-world figures are pretty much on par with the new FB-powered Forester.

I was expecting a big gap considering 4EAT vs 6EAT but I'm surprised to find out that's not the case. I still hate the idea of a 4-speed though.

Obviously more familiar with Subaru's drivetrain, track record etc.

Kia for me is a big unknown so I'm still a little nervous jumping ship I guess.

Mazda CX-5 is one we want to look at as well since it's got the best EPA mpg rating in the class so far.

Just throwing it out there for opinions, ideas, debates, flamewar, etc

Will come back with updates.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Been in your situation before. If you guys need hauling capacity, it's difficult to avoid a bigger vehicle like the 5G outback, which is the way I'd go. Aside from space for the litttle guy(s), it's the ease of repeatedly wrestling them in there with the carseat. I think it's inevitable the spouse may have to adjust navigating a larger vehicle. Just some experiences from a parent of two.

Outback is only about 10 inches longer IIRC, not a huge deal but when we set in it and turned our heads back we both looked at each other and chuckled. It's the geometry of the car more than anything. We simply don't need that much room in the trunk and the Forester will do just great.

The Sportage does have smaller dimensions overall inside so there's that going against it plus the rear pillars are much thicker so it's got worse visibility all around.

Seems like whatever other cars we've looked at so far we keep coming back to these two. CX-5 is a strong contender but I've read people complaining about a gutless engine, crappy ride and crappy quality. And amazingly enough our local dealer still don't have any in the showroom.

Don't want turbo and the n/a is only FWD.

Good looking, no doubt.

Not looking for turbo because I know I'll want to "play", I want the straight-forwardness, reliability and simplicity of n/a, etc.

We have the 2009 Forester and we love it, solid all-around performer at everything - including moving dishwashers and clothes driers across the state lines. We do have the manual tranny though which brings some fun into the picture.

Creepy....sans the having a kid part, we are in the same spot-

Ditching the girlfriends Mini S and looking into a new Sportage or Sorento, 2009+ Murano or Edge.

She thought about an Outback, but like you said, no need to pay the extra cash.

Tried talking her into a Forester, but it was a no-go.

Don't tell me she's got an 06 and it's green.

If a RAV4 can be had for cheaper, why not.

Phew! I was REALLY going to get scared....Its an '07 Pepper White with black roof.

Same consensus with the RAV4, she LOVES the new ones but....

Seems shes found she likes the Rogue, went to a dealer yesterday to drive a Murano and saw it. She drove it and loved it.

I'm not particularly a fan, but I won't be driving it.

On the plus side, they're inexpensive.

She drove a Sportage the other night, said it felt very underpowered. Whats funny though, its got more HP than the Rogue which she said was really peppy.

CVT vs. traditional auto I'm assuming?

Jesus christ SCSbecB, is your girlfriend my wife or what? :lol:

Same thing here, she likes the Rogue, my mom has an 09 so she's been in it, drove it, etc.

I'm not a big fan, it just feels and drives like a boat and cheaply built overall.

CVT is nice, the Rogue does have some pep to it and low-end torque. Must be the way the CVT delivers the power that got her thinking it's got more power, it has more pull from a dead stop.

I've made peace with the fact that we may very well end up with a Rogue. It's my bottom choice from the 3 mentioned but still a good car overall. Gets better mileage than the Forester in town and I like the CVT better believe it or not.

I just don't want another car that dips below 20mpg in town and it looks like the Forester has a chance of doing that to us.

I looked and looked and looked for sometime and finally came across the Kia Sportage and I absolutely love it. On the highway I'm averaging 28mpgs on regular gas with average speed of 74 (There's an option you can reset and it tells you the avg speed) in the city Im avg. mid 24 mpgs, Those numbers are with my 2012 SX AWD. HOWEVER! Hyundai is releasing the new Santa Fe Sport! Check that out...

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicles/future-cars/2013/santa-fe/

I've made peace with the fact that we may very well end up with a Rogue. It's my bottom choice from the 3 mentioned but still a good car overall. Gets better mileage than the Forester in town and I like the CVT better believe it or not.

I just don't want another car that dips below 20mpg in town and it looks like the Forester has a chance of doing that to us.

We now have a Frosted Steel 2011 Rogue SV FWD in the garage.

Wasnt the one we were originally looking at (the dealer attempted a bait 'n switch) but we found another dealer that had a low mile 2011. No Nav or AWD, but its got Bluetooth, backup cam and roof rails.

I will admit I'm pleasantly surprised.

Congrats!

My wife loves her 07 Outlander. I know, I know, Mitsu sitgma, but it has been solid for the 4 years and 65k miles we've owned it. Plus, in Omaha, the Mitsu dealer is actually the Infiniti dealer, so we're treated in style every time we take it in for service (free oil changes with Diamond Care 100k warranty!). It is a great hauler and people mover.

We got the V6 4WD (selectable FWD). It gets 24-26 HWY and around 20 city. It's got some decent power too. If you want more mpg, you can always opt for the I4 or the Outlander sport.

One of the really cool things about it is that it is a combo hatch and tail gate. The fold down tail gate can support the weight of 2 adults, making it a nice place to sit. It also helps for loading. You can put a few items (or for me 10' 2x4s) in and then fold up the gate to secure them and continue loading through the open hatch.

I'd recommend looking at both the Outlander and Outlander Sport.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Congrats on the purchase SCSpecB!

I may open up a thread on the Nebraska boards to see what mpg people are getting out of their 4EAT Foresters around here. So far what I have seen on subaruforester.org is discouraging. Like I said I don't want another car that does below 20mpg in town, I have my Legacy for that :lol:

We like everything about the Forester otherwise. Better visibility, more interior space, etc.

I think it'd be silly to overlook the Sienna AWD. If I had your requirements, that'd be the first car on our "check out" list.

You can get an LE 7-passenger with the V6 and AWD for an RCH over $30k if you are a savvy negotiator.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

You guys really think it would be safe for my wife to go from a Mini straight into a behemoth? God help everyone around her :lol:

But hey, at least our child/children will be safe, right? The American way!

Society won't like it, but keeping them safe is the #1 priority for you.

I'd genuinely go check out an AWD Sienna.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Screw it, just go buy a real SUV like a 4Runner, or better yet a Suburban with the biggest motor you can get in one.

You guys really think it would be safe for my wife to go from a Mini straight into a behemoth? God help everyone around her :lol:

But hey, at least our child/children will be safe, right? The American way!

My girlfriend went from a fullsize chevy truck to her Mini and now to her Rogue :lol:

If we need to haul anything REALLY big tho, her dad has an '01 3500 Suburban with a 454 lol.

Archived