LegacyGT.com

98 LOB Open Source ECU, Tuning?

Hey. My friend mentioned something about Legacy's having Open Source ECU's, meaning you can tune the ECU on the fly with just a (really expensive) computer cable to connect to. I have no idea if he's right, and I'm a newbie to tuning and ECU's all together. I searched around for some info on the car's ECU being open source, but found nothing. When I searched for tips and DIY's on Tuning the ECU, all I found was info on how to use a Piggyback system on your ECU and tune with that.

TL;DR - Is the '98 Legacy Outback equipped with an open source ECU? Is one available? If not, can I still tune it without a piggyback?

Thanks for your help. :)

Hey. My friend mentioned something about Legacy's having Open Source ECU's, meaning you can tune the ECU on the fly with just a (really expensive) computer cable to connect to. I have no idea if he's right, and I'm a newbie to tuning and ECU's all together. I searched around for some info on the car's ECU being open source, but found nothing. When I searched for tips and DIY's on Tuning the ECU, all I found was info on how to use a Piggyback system on your ECU and tune with that.

TL;DR - Is the '98 Legacy Outback equipped with an open source ECU? Is one available? If not, can I still tune it without a piggyback?

Thanks for your help. :)

I bought this cable. Tactrix 2.0 and it cost a fortune for my 1998 legacy.

an hour of tinkering later and I realized it was not compatible at all, It could barely do any obd2 functions through the computer for seeing sensor data from the car. I had to sell the cable at a loss for someone with a newer subie

Not worth it on this generation of car.

actually you can reflash wrx engines from 02 and up with the tactrix cable. unfortunately I think its hard to modify the stock ecu and a standalone is usually the best option for tuning the engine

• I Donated
Can't do much with our ECU's in stock form.

Correction. You can't do ANYTHING with our ECUs. Period.

You can run a piggy back or stand alone system. Those are your only options.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Archived