LegacyGT.com

Need help with rear hub.

New here. I have a 98 Legacy GT and I need to change the right rear wheel bearing. I cant find a sticky on how to dismantle the rear hub assembly so I can press out bearing. I have removed wheel, brake drum and axle nut. Do I have to remove the strut, sway bar and drum brake brakes or is there a shortcut im missing?? Any help would be handy. Thanks.

you have to disconnect the upright from the strut, you COULD leave the strut attached to have less issue with alignment but that would be a pain and you will likely need an alignment anyway. you should be able to leave the sway bar attached, just disconnect the upright from the lower arms by removing the one long bolt that goes through both. not sure on the brake, you have to at least disconnect the parking brake cable and disconnect the wheel cylinder. you may have to remove the backing plate too. but honestly I have never dealt with drum rear brakes on a legacy.

• I Donated

If its a LGT, it does not have drum brakes in the rear. The parking brake is a drum like setup that sits inside the rotor hat.

You have to take off the whole knuckle. If you have only one side jacked up, you will never be able to get it off. Jack up both sides on the rear (to take the tension off the swaybar) and you would be able to work with that.

Take off brake

Take off strut bolts

Take off lateral links (trailing arms)

When you go to press out the bearing, there is a snap ring that holds it in. Take out the snap ring then press out.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated
of course the dealer has a nice little tool that they can use to swap bearings on the car without taking the upright off, but we're outta luck.

Its called a hub shark...and it doesn't work worth a shit. I have one and I never use it. Its easier to take the whole thing off the car.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Archived