LegacyGT.com

Napa ProSelect 27712 oil filter

I just picked one up today for $4.24 along with Napa full synthetic 5w30 on sale for $3.79/qt.

Supposedly the Napa 7712 series filters have the high bypass setting of Subaru OEM filters. It seems to be solidly built. I had intended to just get another blue Subaru filter, but was at Napa for the oil anyway and wanted to see if they carried the new 7712's. Dude didn't even ask if I wanted a Napa Gold, just offered the ProSelect. It's a WIX/Affinia filter, built at the Affinia plant in Gastonia NC per the box.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/mtpockets06/cid__0508121646.jpg

Joel

Just completed an oil change on my 2012 Legacy 2.5i using the ProSelect 27712. I thought the blue Subaru Honeywell filter was small?!? The 27712 is like a thimble in comparison. Way shorter. You have to stuff your hand way up the Subaru (heat shield) hole to get that sucker threaded on. Based on some pics I've seen online of the 7712, the media 'can' inside the filter is much smaller than the blue honeywell made Subaru filters. I'm going to have a hard time going even close to the (2012 2.5i) recommendation of 7500mi with a filter that tiny.

I also cut open the used blue Subaru filter. The pleats were much more even than they were on the factory filter per the thread & pics I had posted on it some months ago. I may stick with the Subaru filters after this one just based on the media size difference.

Joel

I'd be curious to see some cutout comparisons between the 2. I just put the Napa Gold 27712 filter on my legacy. I honestly didn't pay much attention to the difference in size between the OEM and the napa, but noticed both were pretty small anyway. My 2001 Jetta's filter was a tank in comparison.

The filtering media portion of the 7712's is shockingly smaller than the OEM filter. I'm assuming the ProSelect 27712 is identical:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg802/scaled.php?server=802&filename=napagold7712cut.jpg&res=landing

(thanks to this link: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2506579&page=1)

Compared to the factory filter I cut open here:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/mtpockets06/030-1.jpg

Joel

Thanks that was an interesting thread to read up on. Still interesting though for cars, not a lot of micron rating analysis, just media size and end caps. On my Harley, it was all about the micron rating, then drilling down into the other details.

• 5 weeks later...
Thanks that was an interesting thread to read up on. Still interesting though for cars, not a lot of micron rating analysis, just media size and end caps. On my Harley, it was all about the micron rating, then drilling down into the other details.

Most oil filter threads are only about end caps and media size. IMO, an used oil analysis gives a better picture of an oil's performance than someone claiming to know how well an oil filter's based on the filter's construction. What do you mean by micron "analysis"?

This is for the Wix:

Part Number:57712

UPC Number:765809577121

Principal Application:Various Subaru (88-12) All Applications

Style:Spin-On Lube Filter

Service:Lube

Type:Full Flow

Media:Paper

Height:2.577

Outer Diameter Top:2.685

Outer Diameter Bottom:Closed

Thread Size:20X1.5 MM

By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI:23

Anti-Drain Back Valve:Yes

Beta Ratio:2/20=2/20

Burst Pressure-PSI:300

Max Flow Rate:9-11 GPM

Nominal Micron Rating:21

Don't research the oil filters on NAPA's website. Not always accurate. Use the manufacturers website. wixfilters.com

Just add a 5 before the NAPA number.

1356 is not the same as a 7712. Overall size is slightly different between the two as well as the burst pressure and bypass pressure.

WIX 57712:

Part Number: 57712

UPC Number: 765809577121

Principal Application: Various Subaru (88-12)

All Applications

Style: Spin-On Lube Filter

Service: Lube

Type: Full Flow

Media: Paper

Height: 2.577

Outer Diameter Top: 2.685

Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed

Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM

By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 23

Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes

Beta Ratio: 2/20=2/20

Burst Pressure-PSI: 300

Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM

Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Gasket Diameters

Number O.D. I.D. Thk.

Attached 2.475 2.173 0.233

WIX 51356:

Part Number: 51356

UPC Number: 765809513563

Principal Application: Chrysler (92-06), Dodge (92-05), Eagle (92-98), Ford Probe (93-97), Mazda (71-00), Mercury Villager (99-00), Mitsubishi (90-12), Saturn (04-07), Outboard Marine Engines, Various HD Equip.

All Applications

Style: Spin-On Lube Filter

Service: Lube

Type: Full Flow

Media: Paper

Height: 3.402

Outer Diameter Top: 2.685

Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed

Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM

By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11

Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes

Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20

Burst Pressure-PSI: 363

Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM

Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Gasket Diameters

Number O.D. I.D. Thk.

Attached 2.475 2.173 0.233

Both would work as the thread and gasket specs are the same though. Biggest difference is the ones I noted above.

Personally I would not go with Pro-selects either.

With the spec's listed no. However, there will be a slight difference probably in the internal design of the filter based on the specs for the OE filter design.

For example: one could have more recirculation openings than the other.

Just little things like that that won't really matter. I would just go with whatever one is listed for your vehicle's typically. When I worked at NAPA I rarely sold a filter to somebody that was not necessarily listed by application. The only time I did that was when I was working with tractor's, HD equipment, big trucks, etc. Those were all typically hydraulic filters which often aren't listed by application but rather by part number. When the number is missing it's a take measurements and go dig through the book sort of thing.

Thank for the info, I was just asking cause we have those filters in stock for the vehicles we service. ;)

I work on International trucks, but our parts guy orders the filters, so I don't have to worry about it.:)

Another important thing to note is the difference between grades of filters.

On the NAPA website you will find at least 2 listings per vehicle but for some filters you will find 3 or 4.

You will always find a Proselect and a Gold filter option.

You will occasionally see a Silver and a Platinum option.

Silver and Proselect are the same thing. Renamed the line to proselect and are phasing out the "Silver" name.

Gold is the next best and there are typically monthly one day sales on gold filters which often result in the gold being less expensive or only little more than the Proselect. Gold also has a better filter media typically. Might be paper still like the Proselect but typically it will be a better type of paper allowing better filtration or similar filtration with a higher flow rate. It can also be a glass enhanced cellulose which tends to work pretty well.

Platinum is the best. I don't know a whole lot about this line as I did not work there when this line came out, which was fairly recently. From what I have heard from the guys at the store I used to work at the only difference is usually that the platinum filters have a wire backed synthetic filter medium.

If you use those filters and work at a shop you really should look into getting a list of the filters you use the most of and buy them all on filter sale. It could save you guys quite a bit of money. I did outside sales for the store I worked at and I would have the shops keep the filters that they ordered in stock. I would have them decide on how many they want in stock based on how many they typically use in a month's time and then about a week before the filter sale I would go in and figure out how many of which filters they needed and round them all up or order the ones we didn't have.

Saved a few construction, trucking, etc. companies $3 - 400 a month on this alone.

It's a utility company, and the way they spend money is ridiculous. We tried offering advise, but they do what they want anyways. We keep them in stock, I just dont know if they save money or not.

Well IME if they are buying the cheaper filters it is because they are cheaper and when you buy a lot of them that is a big factor. If you can get better filters once a month for about the same or just a tad more it can help to make the life of the vehicle/machine longer.

I've dealt with a few companies like that though. Just about nothing you can do because they are so set in their ways. :lol:

As long as it isn't your money, and they don't care much about theirs then who cares I guess.

Do you use the NAPA oil? If so then you have used Valvoline.

It's good stuff. I have used it in all my cars for years until my legacy. I use the Rotella T-6 and it seems to really like it so I stick with it.

Archived