LegacyGT.com

Short Ram Intake

For anyone contemplating the mod:

Read this first: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1471819 This is why you shouldn't do this mod. I did it just for fun. I do not plan to leave it this way.

1. Performance changes: none, except bogging below 2k.

2. Noise changes: extremely loud

3. Time: 20 minutes maximum

4. Cost:

-$25 for Spectre cone filter

-$5 for Spectre MAF adapter (the grey one)

5. Notes: To use the MAF adapter, put it on diagonally. Only two of the bolts will go through the MAF adapter holes, the other two are just attached to the bracket. Yes, very ghetto.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkUChupXVrw]1[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZSCs4XJiok]2[/ame]

I'm just curious. Why do these make the car so much louder? And you said that you are wasting more gas because of it? Why is that?

The car gets so much louder because you are eliminating 2 resonators: the airbox and the snorkus. I'd imagine it would be even louder with a proper SRI with the metal tubing instead of the stock plastic.

I'm wasting more gas because I keep punching it to hear the sound. :lol:

I eliminated ALL of the original tubing on mine and replaced it with Spectre parts. I had to drill the holes so the MAF would bolt up to the adapter, but it was worth it. Like you said, there's no gain accept making your car louder, but I was just trying to take out all the unnecessary crap that the factory puts in. I eventually want a cold air too so I thought this was a good start =P

http://carphotos4.cardomain.com/images/0015/36/56/15756365_large.jpg

I eliminated ALL of the original tubing on mine and replaced it with Spectre parts. I had to drill the holes so the MAF would bolt up to the adapter, but it was worth it. Like you said, there's no gain accept making your car louder, but I was just trying to take out all the unnecessary crap that the factory puts in. I eventually want a cold air too so I thought this was a good start =P

http://carphotos4.cardomain.com/images/0015/36/56/15756365_large.jpg

Looks good. I just did it for fun. This is the main reason why I won't keep it permanently: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1471819

• I Donated

And if you ever take your car off road, cone filters have a real bad habit of getting clogged up with dirt and choking the engine...or sucking up a bunch of water...

Stock airbox is honestly pretty much the best you can do on these cars.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

my old 98 legacy had a weapon r short ram air intake installed at like 40,000 kilometers by 140,000kms 80K Miles I had devoloped low compression in Cylinder 3. around 90 when all other cylinders where 150 i believe.

I can't really say this is due to the air intake, But it does make sense that an engine being exposed to higher temperatures over its lifetime will definitely be more abused.

my BD WRX is highly modified by a Subaru enthusiast but they left the stock intake & hooked it up to the legacies snorkus. I really enjoy the sound of a air intake but I do not agree with the claims people make without having their ecu tuned.

your car cannot deal with more air than the stock intake unless you have the ecu remapped. your only looking at a few ponies for alot of heat, shortened engine life.

although you will get a small increase in throttle response

Cold air intake FTW.

I hope so

An official donating member now; sig and all. Very nice. :)

I like this quote:

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill

• I Donated
An official donating member now; sig and all. Very nice. :)

Staff here has been great and has helped me a bit in the past. I was able to donate so I did to kind of return the favor

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Staff here has been great and has helped me a bit in the past. I was able to donate so I did to kind of return the favor

Good stuff. :)

I'm waiting to see what car I am getting next before I buy in. Options are:

-4th gen LGT

-04-06 WRX STI

-E46 BMW M3

-B5 Audi S4

They are all around 15k, so it just depends what I can find in August.

This legacy has been great, but I hate the slushbox and dismal power at 7,000ft.

• I Donated

Honestly....and I speak from the experience of working in the automotive field for a long time....

Stay as far away from German cars as you can. They are hell to work on, parts cost a fortune, they are problematic (especially with electrical stuff), and they are not reliable.

The M3 is a true drivers car. It handles amazing and has decent power to it...but its absolute hell to work on.

The S4 is pretty fast. It doesn't handle nearly as good as the M3 does, but if you want something that will pull from 60 - 100 fast as hell...the S4 will do it...however, its even harder to work on then the M3 is.

Seriously, stick with Subarus. If you want one that parts are cheap and easy to find, go with the STI. The LGT is a little more "elite" in my eyes, but a little more expensive to modify since parts are not as common for them.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Yes i meant a wrx swapped Legacy BD :)

and i agree with brokn that Subaru's are the easiest cars to work on.

My car is a usdm motor, jdm gears in the usdm legacy transmission housing jdm Lsd differential

it all flows together as long as you match the gears.

Honestly....and I speak from the experience of working in the automotive field for a long time....

Stay as far away from German cars as you can. They are hell to work on, parts cost a fortune, they are problematic (especially with electrical stuff), and they are not reliable.

The M3 is a true drivers car. It handles amazing and has decent power to it...but its absolute hell to work on.

The S4 is pretty fast. It doesn't handle nearly as good as the M3 does, but if you want something that will pull from 60 - 100 fast as hell...the S4 will do it...however, its even harder to work on then the M3 is.

Seriously, stick with Subarus. If you want one that parts are cheap and easy to find, go with the STI. The LGT is a little more "elite" in my eyes, but a little more expensive to modify since parts are not as common for them.

The Audi is probably lowest on the list because of the V6 biturbo which seems like it would be impossible to work on and the drivetrain layout with the engine way in front of the front wheels.

I am a fan of the E46 M3 because of the I6. I had a 96 Mercedes E320 with an I6 before, and it was the smoothest engine I have ever driven all the way to redline. It was great except for the headgaskets which went every 75k with a German precision. But having driven in some nasty snowstorms here, the RWD wouldn't be much fun.

The 4th Gen LGT is probably the most realistic. The STI is more expensive to start with and has higher insurance. I have gotten spoiled with repairs on this car. There are about 10 Outbacks and Legacies moving through the U Pull & Pay here every week. I haven't had to buy a new part yet.

http://www.imgur.com/Mc3Ax.jpg here's my what I did to make my intake. The hybrid set up is the way to go. The noise isn't annoyingly loud but its deffinately still there. From my experience I feel like I got a small gain... it pulls better in the top end... not drastically better. But only slightly. The first week I got it I want to see what she had so I tried to top it out. Got to 115-116 MPH. And I took a long time to get there and it obviously was done accelerating . After installing this I've reached 119-120(the end of the speedo on mine) and I feel like it was getting there slightly faster. Who knows tho maybe its just in my head lol either way... I majored in ricer math at iRice university and they tought me that intakes add like 150-200hp!! ;)

@nick.cfrancis - WOW dude thanks for that info. Assuming all that is true, you saved me some troubles down the line. I just got done modifying my intake again to include the factory air box and snorkus. Here's a pic:

292147_10150855652484844_905923183_n.jpg

@wish - I was actually referring to the mufflers and the HUGE air box on the engine side of the intake. I've got no problem switching to the factory snorkus and air box.

yeah, the torque box is pretty unnecessary. Just quiets the intake down. The 2.2 intakes don't have them. I ran the hybrid set up on my Impreza and loved it. I have a 2.2 intake to swap onto my LGT when i find the time to do it

Archived