LegacyGT.com

100 Octane Experiment...

Turkeylord

So, I thought I'd try 100 octane, to see if I could run a hotter revision of my tune for street legal drags this weekend. Here's the relevant posts about it up till now:

So I have a stupid question:

Still working on my tune with Shamar, and it doesn't look like I'll be done in time for the track day coming up. According to Virtual Dyno, rev01 was the most powerful version of my tune (with some knock), and the power has come down significantly in the later revisions. I have access to 105 octane unleaded - could I be safe running rev01 on 105? How about 50/50 91/105? Is it safe to try as long as I watch my logs?

Well, I bought 2.5 gallons of 105 octane unleaded ( @ $9.49/gal! ), enough to pull some logs anyway. Waitin for the needle to drop a little more before I put it in.

*EDIT*

Apparently, this is what they carry:

Track Tek Racing Fuels TT102 Unleaded: For off-road and specialty automotive applications, as well as snowmobiles, motorcycles, and boats that are used in sanctioned racing events with effective compression ratios up to 12:1.

Typical Properties

Research Octane No.: 104

Motor Octane No.: 97

(R+M)/2: 100

Reid Vapor Pressure: 6.4

10% Evaporation: 187.0

50% Evaporation: 219.9

TEL, mL/gal: 0

Oxygen, wt%: 0

Specific Gravity: 0.738

Color: White

So, I ran the car till it sputtered a bit, then put the TT102 in. Went out and pulled some logs Sunday morning and this is what I got:

http://i.imgur.com/jb83b.png

The Rev01 is definitely still more powerful, but nothing like the logs I pulled in February. :confused: There was about a 30 degree difference in ambient temps, would that cause this big of a difference?

http://i.imgur.com/jbtoE.png

So I'm not sure what to think, lots of knock on Rev01 even with the TT102, so there's no way I'm going to run it at the track. And with the numbers the way they are, not sure if I'd improve my stage 2 times much if I ran on Rev07. :spin:

5-6-12_Rev01_Pull 1.csv

5-6-12_Rev01_Pull 2.csv

5-6-12_Rev07_Pull 1.csv

5-6-12_Rev07_Pull 2.csv

2-7-12_Pull 1.csv

2-7-12_Pull 2.csv

your knock sum certainly incremented in rev 1 though the ecu didn't learn to pull timing. rev 7 is certainly cleaner. putting in higher octane isn't going to magically add power, also, if the knock still exists when putting in race fuel, then it's something else with the tune that needs to be revised. you need to be tuned for additional timing if your setup will handle it, otherwise running race gas won't do much if the cause of your knock is something else other than too aggressive timing.

Archived