LegacyGT.com

Does the LGT handle well?

jfdeuce

David - better tires, ss brake lines, better fluid, and better pads should make the stock brake system much better without having to change calipers/rotors.

Melayout --

I already have Goodyear FY FS-D3 tires on. I'm not changing the calipers but I am changing the rotors.

Regarding the suspension, I'm getting better struts and an anti-sway bar.

All work is being done by my dealer and none of it voids the warranty.

The objective is to (a) get the car to stop more quickly (the new tires have helped a lot); (b) reduce body lean in turns and © get a little more road feel. I'm not touching the engine, which is a great unit.

Thanks

David

What the heck, I'll throw in my 0.02. I think the stock suspension and mediocre (at best) tires hamstring an otherwise capable chassis. The brakes don't do anything to inspire driver confidence, either.

Dizzy's suspension todo list:

* New tires

* Stiffer swaybars

* Upgraded pads/SS lines

* new struts/springs

* alignment

That should take the majority of the slop out of the suspension.

• 10 months later...

Chances are youll find the GTs handling fine. The ride is comfortable and "sporty", but there is some lurching on acceleration and body roll. If thats a problem get some springs and replace the stock rubber.

I have iON springs, and the re92s and the car handles great, with new performance tires it would be amazing.

The LGT handles pretty well. There are a few issues car magazine writers tend to have. We don't drive on skidpads and racetracks most of the time. We drive in the real world.

1) GT means "Grand Touring", i.e. a car set up for traveling long distances at a fairly rapid pace. A GT is not a race car setup. A GT is not a sports car setup.

A GT strikes a compromise between ride and handling. You want comfort for long trips, you don't want a suspension so stiff it will rattle the teeth out of your head.

2) Compliance is good. Real world roads are not glass-smooth like a racetrack. They are bumpy and uneven. You want a suspension that can absorb bumps and potholes without losing its composure. That means the suspension is not tuned super-stiff and some body roll is acceptable.

3) Body roll is not the devil. Some people have been trained to think body roll equals bad handling. That's not true. See #2.

4) Feel is not everything. Some people really put too much weight on the subjective feel of a car through the controls. Just because a car feels tight and super-responsive, does not necessarily mean it handles well objectively speaking. When you are driving at very high speeds, you don't want the car to change lanes every time you sneeze.

The Legacy handles great for what it is. It is outstanding in wet or slick conditions. In my opinion, better tires and a stiffer rear sway bar are about all you need to tighten up the handling.

As a follow-on, why do we let these magazine writers have such influence over us, anyway? They don't even agree among themselves, how do you know they will agree with your own opinion?

Please, drive the car and see for yourself what it's like. That's the best way to know if the car is a good choice for you.

I'm coming from a BMW 325Xi who's lease is ending. In my opinion, BMW makes an excellent package with excellent handling, smooth power, and great feel. I love the car and as a result it's always my baseline when looking at other options.

Since I didn't want to spend the same $ with this next car, I was looking at a lot of new/used options (the Little MB, Volvo S60 T5, Acura TSX, Mazdaspeed 6, mercury millan, Passat/jetta, Jaguar X type, etc).

Of all the cars I drove, the LGT was the best balance to me and reminded me enough of driving the BMW that I felt immediately comfortable. None of the other cars did that. I do wish the ride was just a touch firmer but it's really a great all around balance that's easy to live with day to day. It's even easier to live with when I remember how much it cost!

Archived