LegacyGT.com

No rear tail lights

I have a 2008 Legacy GT and when was leaving my parents' house the other night when my dad called me and said that my tail lights were not working. I pulled over and did an inspection and the rear lights (tail lights, not brake lights) and license plate lights were not working when the headlights were turned on. All other lights work (headlights, interior lighting (including trunk), brake lights, turn signals, hazard lights) were working.

I went to the local auto parts store thinking I had either a couple of burned out bulbs or fuses but couldn't find the source of the problem. I talked to the store manager and he checked it out and couldn't find anything wrong with it, so I took it to the dealer on Thursday morning and they still have my car.

The technician said that they didn't have any continuity at the fuse block so they overnighted another one and installed it but that didn't fix the problem. They just called me to ask if they could keep it over the weekend and that they started a call with Subaru Engineering and would have to wait until Monday to head back from them about what the next step is. They more or less ruled out the fuse block so they are hoping the can return it and not charge me for it (which I am somewhat skeptical).

My car has 58K miles so the bumper to bumper warranty is over and I don't have an extended warranty. Right before I hit 36K miles I had another dealer replace the A/C-radio unit as the backlighting failed for the knobs that controlled the temperature and I really haven't any any serious problems with the car.

Has anyone had simiar experiences? If so, what fixed it and what did it cost? I have a bad feeling that I may be in for a $1000+ repair bill. It's not that I can't afford it but you don't expect electrical problems with these cars typically.

Not really any idea what could be going on except that it may be some faulty wiring or a bad connection somewhere along the line.

Do not pay for the fuse block if that was not the problem. It is not your problem that they misdiagnosed it.

• 4 weeks later...
There was a solder connection that had come loose and caused a short. I didn't have to pay for the fuse block as they were able to send it back, but they had the car for three days and it cost me $400 for labor and they had to replace four bulbs that had burned out as as result of the short.

Archived