LegacyGT.com

Knock after oil starvation

• Mega Users
So does anything happen, like engine damage, if I didn't screw one coil pack tight onto the spark plug and drove it for 100+ miles?

If that was going to cause a problem, it would be misfires.

Short block question. There seems to be a common response to an engine that starts knocking to start saving for a new short block. Even though I have had my 2005 LGT since 2006, I am still new to Subaru. I have blown plenty of engines in my life, mostly small block chevy's and Pontiac V8s. But they were all rebuild-able.

Is there some fundamental issue why a Subaru engine cant be rebuilt when it throws a bearing? I always assumed if my engine started knocking, I would just pull it and rebuild it and not have to buy a new short block.

Its cost of a new short block vs a rebuild. Its usually cheaper for a new short block unless you are doing the labor.

I always did my own rebuilds.

A quick search, has the short blocks running from $2,200 to $2,500. Is this the correct range?

Assuming no major damage (Reuse the pistons), machine work, bearings and rings would cost about $300 to $500 depending on how cheap I went. I always used Clevite 77 bearings. A rebuild usualy lasted 75K to 100K miles.

Where does the extra money come in for the Subaru short block? Do you need to replace the pistons each time? That would make sense. Is there special machine work? I used to just turn and polish the crank (About $110) and hone the block (hot tank $50 and hone $75)

Archived