LegacyGT.com

synchronizer?

downtoearth

hey everyone

just put amsoil severgear in the tranny 75w-90

i'm also having a quick clip of gear going 3rd to 4th (new problem)

anyone think it's the oil being slightly thicker causing slow syncros or do i have a failing syncro?

any comments will be appreciated!

This is a common problem, I found a thread from a few years ago that in these models it was epidemic. I have it now also, I have done a fluid change even with royal purple 75w 90 gl-5 and its helped only a little. My 1st-2ns syncros are whining like crazy but thats common too. These transmissions aparently were not very well mated to the power of these engines for the long haul. A trany rebuild may be in our future.

Redline Lightweight Shockproof. Swap that in.

If the synchro isn't actually broken, 9/10 times that fluid solves grind issues.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Subaru Extra S is the best thing you can put in your tranny. Forget the special blends of different brands. I had a 4th gear clash that I thought I was going to have to tear the trans out for. I switched to Extra-s and the problem rectified itself within 200 miles. I know BAC says he has great results with his blend but Extra-S is a sure thing.

I've got experience with thousands of Subaru transmissions, and shockproof is a sure thing.

Unless something is actually broken, it'll fix it.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

A little under 4 quarts. Make sure it's the lightweight shockproof.

What do you mean noisy flywheel?

In 4th and 5th gear, when I let off the accelerator, there is a rattle or chatter when the car is winding down.

program the DBW to hold the throttle open 1-2% at zero requested torque across the RPM range where you get the chatter. I've used this technique to get rid of the noise you get on over-run on a few cars with a lightweight flywheel + less sprung clutch. you just need to keep the driveline slightly loaded on decel

What flywheel do you have? LWFW's are noisy, and hard mounts make it worse.

Stock flywheels are the way to go.

Authentic - Yep, Shockproof is fine for the 6MT. The clogged oil pump concern is overblown by a long shot.

on the way to work last night driving casually, i shifted into 4th gear and it grinded. i didnt think much of it because i figured i rushed it or didnt engage all the way, whatever right. but today on the way home it did it 3 more times, and i know i didnt short hand these. my car is still on the stock clutch, been stage 3 for 36k miles...tell me its finally time for a clutch and this isnt a syncro.

im guessing ill try this shockproof nonsense :lol:

Stock clutch, also?

I like BugBlatters idea. I might do some fiddling around to smooth out the low-throttle, low-speed jerkiness. I know it CAN be tuned out, but I never cared that much to actually do it.

OP When you get back in CT and need the tranny rebuilt, contact me. I have a buddy in Windsor Locks that can rebuild the tranny for you. He did a great job on mine last summer.

He's been doing tranny's for decades.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have an Exedy wrx clutch with the wrx flywheel. I bought the KSB03 part number but the pressure plate didn't fit, so the shop swapped in a wrx pressure plate one in stock, can't remember the part number and they said it fit well. Maybe I should just redo it with the FJK1001FW?

• 1 month later...
OP When you get back in CT and need the tranny rebuilt, contact me. I have a buddy in Windsor Locks that can rebuild the tranny for you. He did a great job on mine last summer.

He's been doing tranny's for decades.

Subaru certified for warranty work? I'm at 58900 may hit up the warranty option

Archived