LegacyGT.com

Potential new buyer, needs second opinion

So here's the sitch, my friends friend is selling this lgt and has a bit of working done to it, he says it's at stage 2.5. I took it for a test drive (very short one might I add) and it felt good from what I could tell, nothing out of the ordinary, very quiet ride until it was opened up. Before I go and make an offer I want some opinions on how good of a deal this may be for me. Here's a CL link to ad: http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/2931564670.html ...after seeing the car in person I could only say it needs new tires and maybe weather stripping around the windows. Interior is mint. Paint is good. First of what should be many more posts to come.

Thanks!

Was the turbo ever changed? If so, when did he changed it? And what was the reason that he changed the turbo? Was it a turbo failure?

Also, ask for the maintenance receipt of whatever he has done. These cars are notoriously known for the need for preventive maintenance. It will be good to know that your friend has been up to date with all the necessary maintenance. I believe at 107,000 miles, he should had done the timing belt maintenance as well. Asked if he has done that.

Thats all I could think of right now. There are probably more things that you might need to look out for. Like whether if the engine is burning oil etc. I am sure some other members will be able to give you a better detailed advise.

Good luck with the buy!

Stage 2.5 and "babied"...don't belong together.

Sounds like a ok car. If your friend is welling to sale it to you and is not worried that you'll hate him in 6 months, buy it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sorry I'm a bit new, so what exactly are you implying will happen in about 6 months? Also how can I tell if it has been consuming oil, without asking. Thanks.

Consuming oil is normal for these cars. But it requires constant top off to ensure the car's longevity. There is no way to tell unless you ask the owner. Either way, the owner should know such things.

I guess your young.

Most people don't like to sell things to friends. There are to many stories about I bought this car from a friend and now the POS broke. I thought he sold me a good car and now I'm stuck with the bill.

He say's he didn't know there was a problem, but I don't believe him...get the idea...?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived