LegacyGT.com

Total noob question on oil changes....

Ok so I changed the oil in my 09 LGT today. I have done many oil changes before (Other cars) but none with this so called crush ring.

when I removed everything I just had it drop onto the oil pan. I assumed the crush ring was for the filter. :confused: , but now I am reading that maybe it was for the drainplug.

first possible stupid thing was I decided to reuse the crush ring. My bigger concern is I put it on the filter and not the drain plug...:redface:

can someone clear this up for me....did I do this wrong? I didn't notice any leaks :whoknows:

• Mega Users

ya you did it wrong, but I dont think its going to matter. I wasnt used to this at first either.

the crush ring goes on the drain plug, not the oil filter. You should replace it with a new one during every oil change.

I didn't know this at first either, and I just used the same crush washer for the drain plug. Mine started leaking after like 4 changes. Just replace it everytime. They are like a 1.20 at the stealership. I just bought like 10 at once.

Most likely you are going to have oil leaking under your car now.....

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

ya you did it wrong, but I dont think its going to matter. I wasnt used to this at first either.

the crush ring goes on the drain plug, not the oil filter. You should replace it with a new one during every oil change.

I didn't know this at first either, and I just used the same crush washer for the drain plug. Mine started leaking after like 4 changes. Just replace it everytime. They are like a 1.20 at the stealership. I just bought like 10 at once.

Most likely you are going to have oil leaking under your car now.....

hmmm ok that sucks :mad:

now here's my next quesiton then. am I doing any damage by leaving that ring on the oil filter :confused: I think there is enough clearance of the gaset that it is probably not affecting the filter seal? maybe I should just watch for leaks?

I can handle a few drips from the drain plug for now if that's all that will happen.

so stupid why can't they design a drain plug that doesn't need a gasket....

• Mega Users
Definitely get it off your filter and back under the drain plug. I change my oil about 6 times a year and use the same crush washer. No leaks

thats very surprising. it will leak soon, I promise.

why not just buy new crush washers? its gonna suck when you start leaking oil and waste 30 dollars worth of oil when you could have prevented it with a one dollar part:rolleyes:

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Crush washers are designed to be single use. The idea is that the metal is crushed and deformed to make a good seal. Re-using them has mixed results depending how much you tighten it down, and how much it was previously deformed.

Best practice is to replace everytime and tighten to recommended torque to guarantee a good seal. I used these frequently with ultra-high vacuum hardware (much more sensitive to leaks than cars), and if they were previously fully tightened down I wouldn't get results with reuse.

I only bought one crush washer for my 05 since I bought it Jun 04. It now has a Fomoto drain valve on it.

Much better way to go if you plan to keep the car.

OP you can just remove the oil filter to get the washer off it and then put it back on. 95% of the oil is in the pan.

Save the washer for the next oil change. Then put it back on the plug. Even if it drips you will not loose much oil over the 3500 miles.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I only bought one crush washer for my 05 since I bought it Jun 04. It now has a Fomoto drain valve on it.

Much better way to go if you plan to keep the car.

OP you can just remove the oil filter to get the washer off it and then put it back on. 95% of the oil is in the pan.

Save the washer for the next oil change. Then put it back on the plug. Even if it drips you will not loose much oil over the 3500 miles.

Yeah I might go that route. I have been driving a little bit and I smell some oil burning...it's really light though. No drips or smoke pouring out lol.

I will probably crawl under tomorrow and inspect and either pull the just the filter or redo it all depending on what I see.

i found out the hard way once that the gasket from the old filter can stay on

putting a filter on over the old gasket did not work well at all... about 4 quarts of oil found the driveway on the way out...

good thing it wasn't in my subaru ;)

No mike, im just messing with you. It doesnt bother me how many times you mention your mileage, i just enjoy seeing other people freakout when you do

:rolleyes: so you are trying to start trouble :rolleyes: :lol:I know, just busting, back :lol:

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Archived