LegacyGT.com

Extended studs = new wheel bearings?

mr.hicksta

I'm going to be installing ARP extended studs soon while my BBK is away getting powder coated. The local speed shop told me I pretty much have to replace the rear wheel bearings to swap out the rear studs since it's 'virtually impossible' to remove the OEM ones without damaging the wheel bearing. So I wanted to float the question to the masses to get a feel for what I'm going to be faced with when I go to swap my studs out. I'm almost considering buying new wheel bearings all the way around since that seems like it'd be easier. Any thoughts, tips or recommendations would be appreciated!

I really hope not... cause that would suck. That means I would've had to put soooo much money into this damn braking system that Im about to cry lol. Are you using open ended lugs or can you use closed ended lugs with the extended studs?

You have to use open-ended lugs with extended studs.

You CAN remove studs without ruining the wheel bearing, and using a hammer is not the proper way to do that. The PROPER way to do it, is to remove the wheel bearing and press the studs out. But at that point, it becomes a difference of parts cost since labor will be the same either way.

I always told myself that if I went with extended studs I'd buy 4 new wheel bearings, install the studs myself, and then install the new bearings like that.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I really hope not... cause that would suck. That means I would've had to put soooo much money into this damn braking system that Im about to cry lol. Are you using open ended lugs or can you use closed ended lugs with the extended studs?

I'm using Drop Engineering open ended lugs once I get the ARP extended studs installed.

You have to use open-ended lugs with extended studs.

You CAN remove studs without ruining the wheel bearing, and using a hammer is not the proper way to do that. The PROPER way to do it, is to remove the wheel bearing and press the studs out. But at that point, it becomes a difference of parts cost since labor will be the same either way.

I always told myself that if I went with extended studs I'd buy 4 new wheel bearings, install the studs myself, and then install the new bearings like that.

From what one of the local parts guys told me, it should just be a direct swap with no need for a press on 07+ LGTs/OBXTs.

The fit for the lugs is a fairly modest interference fit. Nothing permanent, but certainly not loose enough that you could easily press them out by hand.

You'll almost definitely want to use a press or a vice to get them out, and press new ones in. You should be able to use any bench vice and a deep socket to press the old ones out. You can use a lug nut to pull the new one through. I'd suggest cutting the top off of a stock lug nut (making it open ended) and using that, rather than one of your brand new ones.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Why?

Because they are 3" long. You COULD use a very long closed-ended lug, but it'd look dumb and serve no purpose.

I believe all racing bodies require, or at least strongly recommend, open ended lugs for extended studs to pass tech. It allows quick verification of the minimum number of engaging threads.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived