LegacyGT.com

New OE Radiator includes foam pieces?

Just ordered a new OE radiator because of a leak, but I'm not sure if it comes with the pieces of foam that prevent air from flowing around the side & top/bottom of the radiator? Does anyone know for sure if a new radiator includes the foam pieces (~$50 for 3 pieces). The foam pieces are #8,9,10 in the attached diagram.

FBP can't tell me for sure until they get the radiator, which doesn't help me a lot because I don't want to wait until they get the radiator and then place another order for addtl foam (at that rate it could be 2 weeks plus before I have all the parts). I temporarily patched my leaky radiator with JB weld for now, but I'm limping along and hoping to get this taken care of asap.

On another note, what other dealers are you guys using for online parts sales? FBP's has fallen a long way from their former service levels. While on the phone with them, I asked about getting a replacement bolt for the driver's side ground strap that attaches from the frame rail to the bottom of the motor. After explaining it wasn't on the under-engine pan/shroud and was an electrical ground strap/wire, I was told it "would be hard to find without a part number". Now how in the heck am I supposed to lookup Subaru fastener part numbers when they aren't even listed on the FBP parts diagrams?

Cooling.jpg.7e4831bf76865bcac22e4c814235c99f.jpg

It's a popular 10mm bolt, I'm not sure why you're going through the hassle of ordering the exact bolt when millions of bolts will work. I don't blame FBP for giving you a hassle, it's like a needle in a hay stack to them when dealing with parts for multiple manufacturers. You're wasting their time having them dig deep for a measly 10mm bolt that can be found at home depot. I wasted my time finding this-

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_8/electronic/cord_another/

bmx, Thanks for the info, I'll use opposed forces from now on to research a bit further. I tried to source another bolt through my local Lowes and auto parts stores but the thread pitch is different and I wasn't able to find another locally.

I understand your point about them having to search a bit, but they are in the parts business. I'd just placed a $300+ order, so asking about a part didn't seem like a big deal to me since I couldn't source it locally. It wasn't like I was wasting his time asking for a price.

My local lowes & HD stink when it comes to having fasteners in stock, they have been notorious for having all the bolt bins completely empty. So while they may carry the bolt, it hasn't been available for over a month. Maybe there's been a run on 10mm bolts for Subies in my area ;-)

Yep the auto parts stores will have a small kit you can buy that has a good selection of common bolts, nuts and washers in them. There will be a sign over one of the isles that says Fasteners.

Walk down there. You'll see all kinds of stuff.

Or ask the person at the counter, I'm sure they'd love to tell you where to go...:)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived