LegacyGT.com

lgt/obxt suspension swap

Bump Stops, you need LGT ones.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Coilovers will help you solve your problem and although it is a Honda, I had it lifted an additional 1" using coilovers. The only problem I see is the angle the axles will sit now, putting stress on the joints, leading to premature failure but I do not think 1" will effect it that much though.

My Honda is now sitting .50" lower than stock height now, not like the picture shown.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m278/wai_pang2/IMG_3954.jpg

• Mega Users

There is a slight difference in spring weight between the ob and xt, but I couldn't tell you how much. There's also a difference in spring rate between the auto/manual and the h6. At least the springs are different part numbers.

All you "need" is struts, springs, and bump stops. I have no idea whether you will be able to get a reasonable alignment. KIM that the OB has body spacers to assist with suspension geometry.

• Mega Users

I don't know how much adjustment is available stock in the wrx suspension. The reason for the spacers is that SOA cheaped out. It was to correct a suspension geometry issue without making it adjustable. The problem is the lack of camber adjustment in the back and the limited camber adjustment in front. If you use camber bolts up front and adjustable rear control arms in back, you'll be fine.

For the 03-04 OB, there was a front suspension redesign or something in 03. So the 00-02 front struts are not compatible. The rears are the same from 00-04.

• 1 month later...
The obxt spring/strut assemblies are extremely hard to fit without the spacers installed, as the hubs do not want to droop low enough because the rear control arms will begin to bind. The issue is not as pronounced in the front, however, you may experience bump steer issues in the front, since the steering rack will put the tie rods at more extreme angles than a regular lgt because the subframe hasn't been dropped with the spacers.

Correct. The chassis is identical. You can put lgt struts on an obxt without removing the spacers, you just end up with less than ideal geometry. Putting obxt struts on an lgt without the spacers, however, is very difficult, mostly in the rear, and I strongly discourage it.

My car was in an accident and declared a total loss. I had removed all the spacers and converted the suspension to lgt spec, with rce T1's. Insurance let me swap my oem stuff back on and keep my coilovers, so I did a quick and dirty job of swapping the oem stuff back on (not like the car will ever be driven again). In order to get the obxt shocks on in the rear, I literally had to take a bottle jack and wedge it between the rear hub and the inside of the fender, in order to extend the suspension beyond its binding point. It just needed to sit on the wheels and have oem parts bolted on for my purpose. I would in no way ever consider driving it in that condition. That is how I know.

Correct. The chassis is identical. You can put lgt struts on an obxt without removing the spacers, you just end up with less than ideal geometry. Putting obxt struts on an lgt without the spacers, however, is very difficult, mostly in the rear, and I strongly discourage it.

My car was in an accident and declared a total loss. I had removed all the spacers and converted the suspension to lgt spec, with rce T1's. Insurance let me swap my oem stuff back on and keep my coilovers, so I did a quick and dirty job of swapping the oem stuff back on (not like the car will ever be driven again). In order to get the obxt shocks on in the rear, I literally had to take a bottle jack and wedge it between the rear hub and the inside of the fender, in order to extend the suspension beyond its binding point. It just needed to sit on the wheels and have oem parts bolted on for my purpose. I would in no way ever consider driving it in that condition. That is how I know.

The FSM has you doing that to get the struts in on the OB anyway.

I finished up my suspension a few weeks ago. Bilstein HD's, JDM Wagon Pinks, and spacers to bring the geometry back in line. Plus the WL RCK and ALK and rack bushings.

Zero bump steer, absolutely incredible ride now. Firm, but not harsh. And an appropriate ride height for OB sized tires.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• 1 year later...

hate to bump an old thread, but i'm really interested in doing this also.

so...

Steering Rack spacers

Bump Stops

Struts

Springs

and???

whats the difference between the two on the control arms to keep from binding with the added height/travel?

same goes for the axles?

"Build" Thread <--Link

(OLD) '05 EJ255 now a '13 EJ257 Bottom End w/D25 heads (NEW)

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived