LegacyGT.com

So what do you think of JDM engines?

I have looked at a few salvage yard motors for possible, temporary, replacements for the 2.5 in my 1997 Legacy GT. Some of them are ok, some not so much, I keep coming back to JDM engines as being a really good choice...does anyone have any experiences or thought about the JDM engines??

They are really cheap price wise but you may have to get it tuened for where you live. In the states the gas is different and can blow the engine. My friend got a turbo and was saving for a tune and stand alone and a few weeks later blew his engine. JAP uses RON and US uses um.... Pretty much lower octane

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

• I Donated
They are really cheap price wise but you may have to get it tuened for where you live. In the states the gas is different and can blow the engine. My friend got a turbo and was saving for a tune and stand alone and a few weeks later blew his engine. JAP uses RON and US uses um.... Pretty much lower octane

I hope your kidding.

Tuning isn't on the engine side. Its on the ECU side.

JDM engine managed by USDM ECU will be just fine. Your friend blew his engine because he wasn't tuned for turbo period.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

correct, wasnt tuned. but he was running a jdm 2.0 engine and guess he didnt know he could use a usdm ecu. he was planning on going stand alone

*and i was reading from my phone:lol: didnt see the 2.5 part the OP is looking into

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

• I Donated
So he was using the JDM ECU? That would be fine as well if he were running 93 octane fuel. 93 octane is close enough not to cause any harm.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I bought one off ebay(EnginesUS). I'm very please with it. Paid ~$1000 shipped (to a warehouse). Just had to remove non egr intake and use my old one. Even came with P/S pump and alternator.

Also remember any engine without a history record is gambling with trouble. just because it holds decent compression doesn't mean the internals or perfect working condition.

I would say they are good, just take off the heads and check at least replace the headgaskets, timing belt, and anything else that you can afford while the engine is out.

Check out rs25.com for engines as well as alot of people take their engine out for engine swaps and have perfectly good engines. This way you get a history of the engine, and more accurate known millage.

Archived