LegacyGT.com

Can't Run High Timing (with logs)

need bb

Since moving from Philly to Boston I have been having trouble dialing in my ignition timing. It seems that the 93 gas in Philly was a lot better than what is up here in Mass. In Philly I was targeting peak torque with 13.5 degrees and 20 degrees at redline. I was hoping that some of stage 3 LGT’s with open source tunes could post what you are using total ignition timing so I could get a better idea of what I should be targeting.

When I first made my timing map I never smoothed it, so I spent time smoothing it using Airboy’s excel sheet. It seems that even though the timing table is smoothed, once I apply my logged load the end timing is very choppy. Is there a proper way to smooth timing?

Thanks!

romraiderlog_20120421_144016.csv

romraiderlog_20120421_144732.csv

Timing depends a lot on boost... people who run more boost will run less timing, people who run less boost will be able to run more timing. 13.5 and 20 is pretty reasonable.

Both logs shown knock at 3000 RPM and 2.4 load, so pull a couple degrees from that spot.

Part of the reason that timing looks choppy is that the timing parameter you're logging only has a resolution of 0.5 degrees. The actual value has much finer granularity, but I don't think there's a parameter defined for it in RomRaider.

Also, the "manifold relative pressure" parameter that you're logging has a maximum of 18.43, and you've passed that. Your actual boost is higher, but there's no way to know, based on those logs, how much higher.

I suggest using the "manifold relative sea level pressure" instead. That one has no limits and high resolution. The ECU uses absolute pressure for boost control, but its easier to make sense of that value when you subtract sea-level pressure, so this is the parameter that I use.

Wow. I had no idea that "manifold relative pressure" maxes out at 18.43psi. I have been using this parameter for some time thinking that I would run a safe and conservative tune for now.

I self tuned the car so far. I went through my tune and adjusted my fueling and timing. I will log again to see if I can get to tune a bit better.

Well I can confirm that logging the Manifold Relative Pressure corrected gave me an accurate boost value. I discovered that I was boost spiking to 19.5psi, so I was finally able to understand why my load spiked. I did some tweaks and the new map looks like it is running much better.

How are my logs looking now?

romraiderlog_20120424_192150.csv

No knock, which is great. I have a hard time analyzing boost without looking at plots, but the numbers look pretty good. You're running more boost than I was (I ran 18.5 or so) but I just never tried more... since you're not knocking you're probably fine.

Your AFR is in the low 10s and I suspect you'd make more power up around 11:1, but if it drives well then don't worry about it. But if you're having fun tuning, that's something to consider working on next.

Archived