LegacyGT.com

need advice on exhaust setup

I have a 95 legacy wagon and was looking to either

1. gut both cats and leave the stock mid pipe and muffler

2. get a custom test pipe to replace the cats to the stock catback.

I've tried to find some vids on this kind of set up but was unable to.

Would deleting the cats and keeping the stock cat back give me a good rumble in my exhaust?

I'm not planning to get a UEL or magnaflow cats so don't suggest it. I don't have emissios test here where im at.

Thanks

Quick article summary.

Test pipe = 5 HP over stock cat and 1 HP over a high flow cat. My favorite comment was "you can get the same 1 HP equivalent by losing/removing 10 pounds from your car"http://www.importtuner.com/features/0610impp_catalytic_converter_removal/viewall.html

But to answer your question: "Would deleting the cats and keeping the stock cat back give me a good rumble in my exhaust?" I don't know.... Some people like the fartbox sound.

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

only way it's gonna sound good with just a muffler is if you shell out the cash for a stromung or something of equal quality. If you just weld on some generic pep boys muffler its gonna sound like a wet fart

Why would you want to get rid of the cats? Get an uel header for the boxer rumble, and a stock sti catback, which can be had for anywhere from $50 and up. You will have to get a pipe made to fit between the cat and sti catback because the legacy is longer than the impreza, will need to match the flange angle, and new hangers welded on.

Archived